Helena

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by IDECOYM, Jul 18, 2017.

1. IDECOYM

IDECOYM Senior Refuge Member

Hey all,

I just applied for a job in Helena with Montana DNR. It is based out of Helena. Doing some research the cost of living is pretty high. Are there areas close by that there is a reduction in CoL? Reports indicate that the Helena area has a high crime rate, is this accurate? How is the Helena area for Waterfowl? Any help would be appreciated.

FYI I'm am coming from Northwest Wisconsin. Currently our House is is 3Brdm 2 Bath, full basement, two 1400Sq.ft Garages/Shops, on about an acre and fore the most part "updated". Assessed Value is mid 130,000's true market value is upper 140,000's to low 150,000's

2. Big Sky

Big Sky Senior Refuge Member

We lived there for 3 years. Helena is a beautiful place to live, mountains all around, Missouri River close and several large reservoirs. That said, CoL is higher in MT. We rented the whole time we lived there, we couldn't afford to buy a house, we probably could have but I had a specific area I wanted to live. As far as a cheaper place to live, you could try East Helena, or if you're willing/able to drive a bit you could try Montana City, Townsend or Clancy.

I don't remember Helena having a high crime rate, but I didn't really pay attention to that...I never had any problems.

Houses and property are expensive here. To get something similar to what you currently have would probably cost twice as much.

3. IDECOYM

Thanks BigSky

4. IDECOYM

Hey all,

I am refreshing this post. I've applied for another job in Helena. Anyone else have input? The stats on the internet about crime is probably the most bothersome issue. Trying to gauge the accuracy of web reports.

5. IDECOYM

Also I currently live in a town with a population of about 3,500 people.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Traveled to Helena for business 6-8x a year from 1999 to 2009 and have visited periodically since then. Helena does not strike me as a place to be concerned about crime any more than another town it's size.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  7. IDECOYM

Thanks HaydenHunter.

Anyone know if it is hard to gain access to private land to waterfowl hunt? Here in NW Wisconsin it is pretty easy still. Most farmers say "ducks, why do you want those!?"

8. Frenchy in AK

Frenchy in AK Senior Refuge Member

I would not classify Helena as an area of "High Crime Rate" at all. Sure, you'll see some, but it isn't a place that I would be worried about anything in particular on a day to day basis. Waterfowl hunting can be good. Lots of water to hunt. Hunting fields on private property can be hit or miss, but its still an area you can knock on doors and have reasonable success getting permissions.

As for housing, you won't even come close to the house you described for 130K. you will need to double that as a starting point.

9. IDECOYM

Thanks Frenchy

10. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

I went to college in Helena, now live outside of Missoula.

The cost of housing is high most “cities” in MT, but you can stretch your dollar further if you’re willing to drive 20-30 minutes to work. Look in Clancy, Montana City, Canyon Ferry area, etc. If you’re really intrepid, you can cross McDonald Pass and live in Eliston or even Avon to the west, but that drive will get pretty old come winter time.

Crime... ha! Coming from a town of 3,500 what you should worry about is traffic! For a city of 35,000-40,000 people, Helena can gridlock with the best of them at the wrong time of day.