Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Help with riparian ghost blind relief?

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Dicky Mo, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Technically, they are navigational hazards if they don't meet the code of a stationary blind and should be removed by the owner. I was made to Remove a blind that I didn't even build cause I was the last one to license it..they said it was a navigational hazard cause one ft of the blind was in the water at low tide.

2. LEWDOG

LEWDOG Elite Refuge Member

Those are a float blind friends b/c come November 1 floaters can tie to them and enjoy the hunt , just sink the tag first .

:) LD :sp

3. LEWDOG

IMO all water blinds are a navigation hazard but that is easy to say being I don't hunt or shoot divers . But if I did I would want to be in a sturdy large fix blind with a boat hide under or behind it . 8 years ago while talking about ghost blinds I said we waterfowlers know what a good blind is and we should have a way to point out the ones that don't fit the sport we love to the Cpo's that govern our sport . That never came to be and these dummy blind numbers get greater each year . Ok so the easy fix is to deep six the tag and hunt the area but most don't feel that is right so how do you feel about paint bombing them a bright yellow or orange color so they stick out like a sore thumb ?

:dv LD :reader

4. Little Ruddy

If you paint ball them,you messed up a spot to hunt with the floater. Just anchor beside it and have at it. Just have the CPO number ready when the "owner" of the license comes up and interferes with a lawful hunt. Most don't know the blind laws,I've explained it to them and even got a spot to hunt...until the owners grandson built a blind and we got kicked out that creek...got kicked out a lot of creeks!

5. LEWDOG

LR I disagree that a color will messed up a hunting spot and if the tag is on the blind the GW has no choice but to write a summons to go till it to the judge . If one removed the license and the owner calls the GW and they come out and finds a legal license floater hunting next to what looks like someone is trying to use our blind laws as a way to stop a legal hunt. This gives the GW a choice for they can leave with no action or they can get with the owner of the ghost blind and till them there was no license on the blind which might lead them into admitting of the misuse of the law .

:) LD :pra

6. Little Ruddy

We hunted by a ghost blind,which consisted of four poles with four bushes tied to the poles and license. GW pulled up checked the license on the pole ,checked out stuff said we were perfectly legal to hunt there as that stuff did not meet the code of a legal blind.

7. LEWDOG

That may true but doesn't mean much to the other floaters with a different GW , location , and or blind . Guessing it must have been a season after November 1 b/c before that date it was a legal blind license .

:) LD :yes

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

So where is the code of a proper and legal blind...done written?

9. LEWDOG

A stationary blind shall be (1) of such size and strength that it can be
    occupied by and conceal one or more hunters, or (2) large enough to accommodate and conceal a boat or skiff from which one or more hunters intend to hunt or shoot waterfowl.
    This discussion never gets old , we talk about ghost blinds which is really about dummy blinds then it always turns to the Va. Code and how it isn't clear then the season comes in and the hunting brings the blind discussion to a close for another few months .
    A dummy blind is one that meets the DGIF rule of thumbs of what a stationary blind is and a ghost blind is a stationary land or water blind after November 1 that failed to meet that same rule of thumbs . Take a real long look at # 2 . Put 3 poles into the drink and nail some burlap on a 2x4 across them and every float hunter will call it a dummy blind but tie a floating blind to that dummy blind and in the eyes of the law it becomes a legal license stationary blind for the one floater with the paperwork to that would be dummy blind .

:dohLD :yes

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member