Hevi X pellet count.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Mack270, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Mack270

Mack270 Refuge Member

I haven't called EMI to ask but based on what I've read they have not been very forthcoming on density numbers.

Tuleman,
    They are magnetic, I picked them up to count them with a magnet. Based on anecdotal observations the #4's seem to perform at least as well as steel 3's. That's from my own shooting and watching a friend shoot them. Pattern wise they were in the 63% range with an IM for me at 40 yrs out of an 870.

I really want them to be an improvement over steel but I'm still skeptical. I think I'll buy another box to pattern in the off-season.

2. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

The 2s I have removed from birds are not magnetic. Those shells were purchased in 2017. Maybe a change in composition for the newer shells?

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

IMO, Oklahoma weather and some EMI products have a lot in common.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Which raises some degree of question as to what the consumer is paying for verses what they are actually getting?

With vitals showing on birds, I have found steel #4's to be about as effective as #3's, if not more effective due to pattern density. The couple days I killed some geese, most were at the 40+ yard range, and all came down hard with steel #4's (although that would not be my shot choice were I targeting geese).

Self-reflectively speaking, when I pay more for a product, I want it to be better, and very often in my mind it is better, when in reality, there is likely little to no difference. Sounds like we are rowing the same boat here.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Another presents-more-questions-than-it-answers for Hevi-X?
    I went to the three normal sources of waterfowl loads in my small town after posting my previous post, to pick up a box of Hevi-X. One place (Walmart) had already removed all their non-toxic shells from the shelves and replaced them with picnic coolers (grrrrrr), one place was inexplicably closed, and the third place is in the process of moving to a new building. So, I may have to order online to find out for myself.............

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I posted another thread on this same subject, as I was preparing to purchase some Hevi-X.

I wanted a denser load for geese, and for duck hunting in the wind. Maybe a shell or two in the vest to finish up on some pintails that won't come past 40 yards...

The original Hevi-steel was good stuff. Pellets were a bit "off-round" but not to bad, and appear to be generally the same size and density. Hevi-X has been compared to as a similar to the original Hevi-Steel (but per the company even better and improved). My impression is, that the Hevi-X product is not comparable, and something was done to shave the cost (otherwise they simply would have put back out a product that was universally liked).

My concerns are that I see nowhere stated that all of the pellets are of the same or similar density or size... They could put one pellet of a given density into each shell and state that the loads have denser pellets. (Which with the history of Environmental Metals marketing, I would assume is the case)

Hevi-metal uses different sizes, shapes, and densities of tungsten in each pellet, and I would guess that the Hevi-X does the same thing. No doubt it kills birds in good range (just like steel), but is there an advantage in the wind, or with a bit of extended range, or for geese?

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I got a box downstairs. I have no problem cutting one up and giving some feedback. I DON'T have a great scale. See if I can find someone with one.

8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Is that one trigger pull on that paper, Joe?

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Yes sir, I don't have to take three shots then say how great a pattern looks to get the point across :l
    Thing is your really don't have an exact pellet count with Hevi many times as it's misshapen and has odd numbers and sizes.
    1 1/4 oz of number 6 Hevi is supposed to have 258 pellets in it, think the count was off there quite a bit but I weigh everything so the weight was correct.

callinfowl likes this.
  10. bgk

bgk Senior Refuge Member

How many years have hunters been complaining about the "less than" ethical marketing by Environmetal?

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to do business with a company that historically has been absolutely evasive about giving the product’s key specification and deliberately use product names that could (and have) mislead their customer base? How can you trust them??? Would you buy a new truck, where you asked the salesman "what is the horsepower rating?" and the only answer you could get is "a lot of horsepower - more than the smaller engine"?

The silliest response I hear over and over is:"man, I use them and they really smack those birds". Well since 1956, I’ve really smacked some birds with lead, steel, bismuth, etc ... blah, blah blah.

Tuleman likes this.