Hevi X pellet count.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Mack270, Dec 21, 2018.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

One reason is until the past 10 or 12 years since the price of everything that has to do with shooting and hunting has tripled we were able to get Hevi shot for reloading purposes between $12 and $14 per pound, now it's $36 per pound. Still expensive but if you did it right you were able to make a box of Hevi shells back then for a little more than box of premium steel shells cost you today.

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Have boxes of Hevi X in #4’s & BB’s that were given to me. Will cut one of each open this weekend and post pics and findings.

The “original” Hevi Steel (red hulls) had much better quality (rounder) pellets than the subsequent (gold hulls) that I purchased prior to EMI discontinuing production of those loads.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Received my box of Hevi-X this morning. It is a 1 1/4oz, #2 loading.
    My Chuck Hawks chart says 1 1/4oz of #2 steel should contain 156 pellets, this #2 Hevi-X contains 161 pellets. So, the Hevi-X is either less dense or it averages slightly smaller than steel 2's....IF it weighs a true 1 1/4oz.
    The Hevi-X shot is of various sizes, from .135" to .165" in diameter. This means the shot in this shell is from about #4 up to half-a-size larger than #1.... (#4 is .130" , #1 is .160"). The shot is various shapes, including lots of 'snowmen' and several that had tiny wire 'tails' on them up to about .100" long).
    The shot IS MAGNETIC, so it may contain iron...but note this: Tungsten is paramagnetic, which basically means it is weakly attracted by an externally applied magnetic field. The Hevi-X shot is noticeably LESS attracted to the magnet than a similarly-sized steel shot.
    The lot number on the box is 410932. I'll see if one of my reloading pals has a scale to weigh the payload.
    As it looks now, Hevi-X seems to be no better than cheap steel shot, very similar to the original Winchester Xpert shot, but we pay a huge price for the Hevi-X.

Really, $38.00 for shells that are no different (that I can tell) from $10 Xperts?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    JP likes this.
  4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Nice work.
    So basically its like so many other Environmetal products that there is no way to get an accurate pellet count as there are various shot sizes mixed in every shell. Does not surprise me.

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ are they taking “scrap” Hevishot and dumping into Hevi X hulls? This would possibly account for the “dukes mixture” of pellets.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Tuleman , even though I haven't purchased anything from EMI I often wondered "IF" the Hevi X compared to RotoMetal's Bismuth .
    You have answered my question of its quality and now I know , it's not any better , in fact , the Bismuth sounds a lot better !

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Just had the payload weighed. (This was from a 1 1/4oz payload remember.) It weighed in at 574 grains, which is 1 5/16oz....or 1/16oz heavier than advertised.

That's what my buddy with the scales said!! :l

8. Mack270

Mack270 Refuge Member

Tuleman,
    Your results are very similar to mine. Thanks for doing that.

After his post I think this of the end of my experimenting with Hevi X. I'll stick with steel or with Tungsten from a manufacturer other than EMI.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I shot at a club where my blind partners were shooting HeviMetal 3" 1 1/4 oz of 2's as we were decoying in Lessor Canada's . The birds they shot , as we
    were cleaning them , you could see the different size pellet holes in their birds . The interesting thing was , these fellas Breasted their birds and I could see
    those pellet holes "Did Not" go into where these birds lived , even though , there were plenty of holes . I didn't want to bring this to their attention but MY
    # 1's in steel shot almost went clear through the birds I shot .......Food for thought ?

JP and 10GAGENUT like this.
  10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ Round is better than oblong, hex or banded beer barrel shape(s) when densities are equivalent. Marketing hype, gentlemen marketing hype.