High Hopes

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Native NV Ducker, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

For tomorrow. Had to work the hut this weekend, and been watching flocks of ducks, geese, snows, and swans for 3 days. Hopefully some of them got socked in by the weather and are too lazy to get up and continue South.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

High hopes............. Dashed.
    That is all.

3. Big Sky

Big Sky Senior Refuge Member

Sorry to here that, Native.

My hopes for today...confirmed. It’s my birthday today and I got to spend the morning with some great friends in a field shooting ducks and geese, even shot my first snow goose.

Now if I can just finish up this pesky big game hunting I’d be set

4. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

Bummer, Native. Sorry to hear things didn't pan out.

Sounds like a perfect birthday, Big Sky! Congrats on your first snow goose! I got my first about 15 years ago... still waiting on the second.

Well I appreciate the birds you guys have been sending down. Things were pretty sparse around here through Saturday, but started seeing a lot of birds moving through Sunday and watched a few flocks of migrators pass over while shoveling the walk this morning. Now if I just didn't have one of those pesky jobs to get in the way of hunting.

Cheers,
    Rich

5. Native NV Ducker

I am in an odd situation here. The valley I hunt can be one of the coldest in the Country. The river is shallow, and slow It has a ton of grass feed, and the birds love it. There is not a lot of grain, mostly hay fields.

So, for the perfect season, I need a cold/weather front to stall right on the US/Canada border, cover the fields with snow. When/if that happens, this is a great stopping ground for ducks. Not so much for geese, but I don't care about that. I have had a few years that were perfect. Flock after flock of greenheads, and Widgeon (oddly enough) If they will stay for a day or two, they like the grass, and will tough it out till the hard freeze.

However, when it is like this, 90% slush, all the lee areas frozen, they just keep on flying. Time to start looking elsewhere, which means, long road trips.

6. Big Sky

Big Sky Senior Refuge Member

Hopefully we don’t send too many to N WY :) We hit the perfect day. For a long time we just sat and watched geese come in from the north. There was one point that we had so many geese circling our field we didn’t even pick up a gun to shoot when some came in, we were just in awe of the spectacle. It was one of those days you remember for a long time.

pickadrake likes this.