Hodoo Island - Closed Zone

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Sweatliner, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

After 20 something years DFG has decided to post up Closed Zone signs on the Island . :scratch So if you were going to chase turkeys or pheasants up there this weekend you're outta luck .

On another note. Butte Creek is a navigable water way . Just make sure you stay in your boat and drop birds in the creek . It's completely legal even if it does upset some landowners.

2. DERODOM

DERODOM Elite Refuge Member

What a crock of $%^& :mad:

Is there anyone we can contact regarding this situation??

3. Sweatliner

With Hoodoo Island now off limits the public land hunter just lost more access . Apparently there's talks to have a limited Jr. type hunt when improvements are made :scratch The place is under 6' of water when Butte Creek rises . LDC is constantly battling with issues that pertain to flooding , washing out roads , levees , water control structures but now improvements are going to be made inside the levees of Butte Creek . :scratch Doesn't seem to make sense .

If Jr. hunts are what they're after I'd think the piece LDC picked up a few years ago NE of lot 3 would be more suitable . You know since everything is in place , turn key natural marsh already existing , but off limits to hunters .

Refuge Manager - 530-982-2169
    Brad Burkholder DFG - 916-445-1829

4. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for your homework, Steve. :tu

5. quakattak

quakattak Senior Refuge Member

I was wondering when this would get posted. They didn't put up the signs about the island closing until about a week before the season started. No public input, not a mention of it anywhere that I could find on DFGs site. Why is that?

It's not hard to connect the dots on why this happened. Casa De Patos is on the other side of that island. Paul Bonderson the 1st VP of the Pacific Flyway group for DU happens to be a member at that club. Why do you think that it's closed after 20+ years?

I can tell you that DU won't be getting my money anymore. :mad:

6. WacknStack530

WacknStack530 Senior Refuge Member

Im under the impression that Bonderson owns Casa De Patos/Bird Haven.

7. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Elite Refuge Member

Correct

8. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

I've hunted there a lot of times in the past 40 years. I noticed a couple of years ago that DFG included it on their map. Stay on the east side in the boat.

9. Sweatliner

I was told the reason for making it a closed zone was because they now have access to the island. If you go on google earth you can see a new bridge from Bondersons property to the island. Interesting

Private landowners should not manipulate PUBLIC hunt programs for their benefit.

Imagine moving in next to the airport and complaining that the runway was too close to your house. Since your buddy buddy with the right people they shut it down for you. Impressive

10. quakattak

quakattak Senior Refuge Member

Just out of curiosity, who told you that they closed it because they now have access to the island? That does not even make any sense to me.

What difference does it make if there is access via bridge or not as to whether it's a property open to hunting or a closed area?

Sweatliner - that's not a question to you, just a general thought. Thanks for sharing your info.