Hog Hunts

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Aug 14, 2018.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Anyone do 'em? I talked to a guy I met here that says he goes to TX every year or so to do a hog hunt. I'd like to get some meat other than venison and shoot some critters other than deer with my .45-70, seems like it would be a good time if you went somewhere that they were pretty thick. I hear they're not bad eating and you can do a hunt for them on the cheap if you go somewhere they are a pest. Anyone got any info?

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

If I was still part of my most recent deer club, you could come shoot all you wanted for free. My favorite way to hunt them was to sit on the back porch of the camp house and drink beer and watch football. Shoot one when they came out behind the camp. It wasn’t uncommon for us to shoot 30+ in a day as a club. I can’t really point you in a direction, but my only advice would be to not pay much for a hog hunt. You’re basically paying to help get rid of someone’s problem.

3. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

No specific info, but I do know they are a problem in southern OK; I bumped across an ad for a "free" hog hunt a week or so ago, if I find it again I'll post it up.

4. killerv

killerv Elite Refuge Member

We have more than we can kill at my places. Like anything else, gut'em and get them cooled down quick. After eating many different ones...we found sows in the 125 range are the best to eat. They are fairly nomadic, I had 4 groups, about 30 total hitting one of my feeders every day, now I may have only 10 or so, it goes in spurts. The bigger boars are a lot like big deer, very cautious, and you don't see them often...but they are there. I'm all private land, but there is some good public wma land for hogs in central Ga. My processor says he gets guys from way up north you come down to shoot them on public land.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Cry for help? I need to load up the truck and head that way? :dv

6. killerv

killerv Elite Refuge Member

Suprised you don't have a ton in Al yet, they are coming I promise.

One quick pic I had on my phone, all of these a perfect eating size. I walked up on two a few years back while turkey hunting, nothing but turkey loads on me...both were in the 400-500lb range. It will make your hair stand up for sure.
    [​IMG]

Let the 6yo pop a small one awhile back, I manually made the feeder go off, we barely got sat down when a group of small ones came running in. He wouldn't wait for a bigger one so I let him send some lead down range.

[​IMG]

seiowa and pintail2222 like this.
  7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That little one looks tasty. We have them in places. I’m not battling the hardcore hog hunters we have here on a WMA for an invasive species. They run dogs for them here and stab them with a pig sticker.

8. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

These look like you pay for food and lodging:

Alabama:
    https://www.greatsouthernoutdoors.com/book_a_hunt/alabama-hog-hunting/

Texas:
    http://www.hoghuntinghoghunting.com/

Public lands in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, South Carolina and Texas:
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/game-changers/hog-hunting-where-kill-wild-public-land-pigs-south

I saw a couple of good recommendations in searching for places to hunt hogs for free, wherever it is you may be going. One was to check with the Fish and Game and see if they knew of any ranchers or farmers that were having issues and how to contact them. The second was to contact local feed stores where ranchers or farmers may frequent and see what the local gossip was as far as who was having issues with hogs.

cast&blast likes this.
  9. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

We have 'em here in SWFL - but I've never hunted them. Not yet anyway... I'm sure that they are fun to shoot but I hear that you don't want to eat em - the ones you want to eat are the ones that have been corraled up first and then feed corn for a few weeks...

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

It's illegal to hunt hogs in TN. There is some wild boar hunting in a small part of East TN, but otherwise you can't hunt them.

Deadrise likes this.