Homemade Duck Wing Spinner

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Delta Duckman, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Delta Duckman

Delta Duckman New Member

After many years of buying and using spinner duck decoys I had enough of them falling off the top of the stick into the pond when guys were picking them up while in the boat. Had enough of having to buy stick extensions because we need them for the depth of our ponds. Had enough of stuffing the decoy under the bow of the duck boat and tripping on the stick that protrudes from the bow. Had enough of buying AA batteries to power them. Had enough of the on / off switches going bad.

It is my belief the duck decoy on the end of the stick of the spinners makes no difference rather it is the motion that attracts the ducks. I bought all of the parts off of the internet except for the 6 volt battery that can be recharged. I cut out the wings to the size I like and painted them. I made and have hunted with three of them this season. So far they are working as I thought they would.

The whole thing can be done for under $50.00. It is the functionality I was looking for rather than the cost savings. My buddy calls them the 'Headless Voodoo Duck'.

Attached Files:

Fowl-Action and widgeon like this.
  2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

What motor you running and where do you buy them?

3. Delta Duckman

Delta Duckman New Member

1st question answer:

It is a dual shaft motor I found on the internet. Below is the link to the URL for information on them. Copy and paste. $14.50 each and they send it to the house no shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Electric-Dual-Shaft-DC-Motor-18-VDC-2700-RPM-3-17-mm-Dia-Shafts-/282257420431?hash=item41b7da708f:g:M9wAAOSwGWNUVNjN

2nd question answer:

Because of some the knuckleheads I hunt with I started screwing the duck to the stick to avoid the duck falling off the stick when picking them up. The easiest thing would be to take the duck off the stick but again there is the knucklehead factor. If you leave the plastic duck decoy on the end of the stick there is a rise from the end of the stick to the decoy about 4 inches or so. So with the design pictured the stick lays flat on the bottom of the boat.

4. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Could always tape a couple flock a flickers to a stick so they actually look like spinning wings. :D

5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

you know,.... you can kill ducks without one.

:scratch???

Tuleman, TheDuckSlayer and GK1 like this.
  6. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

My thinking as well?? :scratch Calls work too.

7. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Nice work. Looks sturdy. Curious as to why you shielded (as best as I can tell from pics) one side of the motor rather than bend the piece of metal over the whole thing, like a hood. Was there a reason?

8. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

That'll never work....you have to have bright orange legs dangling off of it to attract ducks

Constructeur and stevena198301 like this.
  9. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Refuge Member

Good idea. using your brain to make something.I like it.

10. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

It would work better if it was flocked.

I’m still looking for a design that uses real duck wings.