Homemade Duck Wing Spinner

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Delta Duckman, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I went old school. We tethered 5 mallards in the spread. When we see birds we jerk the tether real hard and the ducks flap their wings. Works like a charm. Only cost is you gotta feed em during the hunt. 3-4lbs of corn each gets it done.

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Yeah 20lbs of corn is too weight prohibitive? Do you flock the mallards to enhance the realism?

3. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

Mojo or lucky, they work much better if you buy them and bust all the plastic crap off :yes.

I just didn't like how delicate the things are.i want to throw them in the boat not carefully pack away.. 20140420_175956.jpg 20140420_171804.jpg

4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Saw one- it was an actual gadwall body and the wings. The fellas that owned it had such a thick cajun accent and were so drunk that I couldn't understand a word they said, so I couldn't get a story on it or anything. It was pretty funny watching them drop their boat off the trailer at the top of the ramp tho

5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Sorta a refined version of the original "spinner," which was just a piece of metal with one side painted white. Man oh man were those things deadly back in '98, '99, and '00

6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

How does not having a duck body on it stop your 'problem' of tripping on the 'stick'?

I think you solved a problem you didn't have, or could have solved with one screw to hold the duck onto the 'stick'?

Or, as noted above, there have been rumors of a duck being killed without a spinner, though there is no independent validation.

7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

There's a lot going on in spreads these days , with all the movement that a battery can muster . There's also the high pitched noise of little motors
    chugging away to make ripples in the water . Even without ears ducks can hear the faint call of a Drake at unbelievable heights but to us , it's the
    magic we bring to the marsh ! Some of us rely on a old fashion method of fooling birds with a string as it might be only 1 or 6 decoys tied in series
    to look like birds moving around . With maybe 1 or 2 dipping for food seems to draw attention at times while the others just dart forward and spring
    back on the bungie cord . There's a technique to managing these look-alikes along with setting them up so the dog doesn't drag them into the pond
    and with the calling that's required to lure these birds into position for the shot , does take some experience as the movement from ones hands while
    operating these attractants can be what makes birds flare before they set their wings .
    But I know , it's easier to stakeout a remote-controlled look-alike or even 3 or 4 in the time it takes for us to layout our jerk lines but one thing we don't
    have , is that squealing sound of the motors that fellas are trying to cover up with loud calling .

8. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Your post gives me an idea. I’m gonna convince the local federal warden that those spinning wing motors are an electric duck call, electric device that makes noise.....ducks are clearly attracted to it. That should hamper the competition.

9. Jerky

Jerky Senior Refuge Member

Move to Washington State and you have a NO BATTERY POWER law already in place. Pull strings now operate spinning wings in many blinds.

freefall likes this.
  10. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

You can kill ducks without one,but if you are hunting a crowded public area you might handicap yourself if you dont have pme and surrounding blinds do. JMHO