Honey Brake

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by borntohunt, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

Chicken, I believe there may be as many birds as they say. Of course who should we believe today? I do know that the number of refuges, baited private land, new lakes , changed agricultural practices and of course weather all impact the migration. You never hear those who are involved in representing us who are effected by these contributing factors, addressing the obvious. Not sure anything can be done except possibly stop the planting of food (bait) on private land and refuges should be allowed to be hunted a couple days a week or use of air cannons to move the birds and reestablish a natural migration. Waterfowl have a lot of places to choose too winter that provide a buffet and controlled gun pressure. We probably would be shocked if we had the data on how many areas have been developed in the past 25 yrs and how much Federal and Ducks Unlimited money has gone into these projects. Now, I am somewhere in the park or you are right. I think you are right in the idea that those of us who hunt public lakes. We just don't see the birds we once saw 30 yrs ago. It seems that the flight ducks just fly high over the lake and find one of the 3 private baited fields 3 miles south south of the lake I've hunted for over 60 yrs. The number of birds they harvest each yr is impressive. Those fields were not there 15 yrs ago. Tomorrow Ark second split opens and we in NW would see a lot of birds. I believe birds are ancestral and they do return to the same fields. The problem is that the short stopping has impacted the migration. I'm not always right but I think I am, otherwise I wouldn't say it. Have a Merry Christmas

2. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

I think a good spell of cold weather, as in Arkie and north freezes for a few weeks mid-late Dec, would tell the tale. I don't recall that kind of "long" cold spell for several yrs. It's been cold a time or two, but a day or two freeze-up with 50's and 60's for the following week ain't cutting it. Someone correct me if need be on my memory of recent winter weather history.

3. Manoduk

I agree, I believe the last really good front was early 2000. I remember during the 60's 70's 80's 90's seems we would see lakes in NW La freeze up a couple of times every yr. and didn't have the Salvinia problem and great Duck Hunting. I hunted on a public lake. In the early 90's the Red River froze up which was historical. (don't hold me to the exact dates, I'm old and my memory is an old man's memory) Some say we are moving back to that same weather pattern. Funny, the weather can't even agree on that. Lets hope so!

4. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

December 1983 the Red River froze in Shreveport you could walk out on it. I was stupid and did. The 80's had major cold fronts. The marsh froze in South Louisiana that same year and we hunted south of Grand Chenier La. Busted the welds on a mudboat going out to blind and used mudboat to break ice in front of blind. Put out maybe 6 decoys. 3 guys we limited in 30-40 minutes. Think it was week after I walked on the Red in Shreveport.

5. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

2013/14 was a good cold winter and the duck hunting was excellent. Since then it's been hit and miss on ducks and weather. 83 and 89 had epic freezes. So did 2000.

6. BGcorey

BGcorey Senior Refuge Member

shee wizz you're old

7. ducaholic

Been chasing fowl for 4 decades.

8. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

You killing?

Haven't heard from Eric DC, his fingers must be too sore to post from picking ducks?

9. Manoduk

. Thanks, Biggar you are correct I meant to hit the 8 key hit the 9 instead. I remember as a cop we had a chore in keeping people off that ice. They would ride 3wheelers on the river and lakes. Louisiana boys never seen anything like that before and a Red Neck will try anything one time. Very Dangerous but a neat experience, something that may never be seen again. I get to tell my 20 yr old Grandkids about it now. Not sure they really believe me. Days before the heavy freeze and as the thaw began, we would break holes in the ice around the decoys and hold on! Took an hour to work way to blind breaking up ice in front of boat with a sledge hammer. 20 minutes to have 4 man limit. We may have been on the point system at that time. Just don't remember

10. ducaholic

DC is on is yearly duck split honeymoon with Mrs. DC. He had a really good opening weekend.

Your's truly not so much. 36 ducks in 9 hunts.