How did the WAG go in EBurg?f

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by camano gibby, Apr 9, 2017.

1. dukgtr187

dukgtr187 Refuge Member

Nonsense.

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

What is the reason you only get 6 snows? Seems odd when the California limit is 20. :scratch

3. sully

sully Elite Refuge Member

Constructeur likes this.
  4. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Will be interesting to see what happens with the snows. I have a friend who hunts up in the Skagit and he posted a picture with 3 blues in it and I asked about all the blues and he said a large number of Sask/Alberta birds took a right hand turn and ended up in Washington. I have been hunting Saskatchewan for the last 15 years and when we first started going up there we would see flocks with 1 out of 100 were blues. Now the flocks are 30% blue geese. HUGE western migration in the central flyway. Also seeing flocks of snows where historically have never had any. Will be fun to see how it plays out.

5. Smalma

Smalma Senior Refuge Member

rdj -
    For more than a decade there have a few "blues" in the Skagit/Fraser snow goose flocks. 7 or 8 years ago I shot a banded blue on Fir Island that had been banded as a juvenile (young of the year) on Wrangle Island; apparently the "blue" race is now part of the Wrangle population.

In regard to the more generous limit. The White front change is essentially meaningless unless there are major season adjustments to access those early migrating birds. I have to wonder if the higher mixed snow and Canada limits will lead to an accelerate the dispersal of from the Skagit to elsewhere in the flyway. If so good news for those hunting on the east side but bad news for those that hunt the "traditional" snow grounds in Goose Management Area #1.

Curt

6. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

If you have a few blues you will have more before you know it. Interesting how the blue gene is passed down. A white/white offspring will only mate with a white goose. A blue/blue offspring will only mate with a blue goose. A blue/white offspring will mate with a white or blue phase goose. Eventually there will be white geese with the blue goose gene mating with other white geese and spread the blue goose gene faster than you can imagine. Love those blue geese.

7. Honkerclan08

Honkerclan08 Washington forum Moderator

Curt,

I agree with you about goose management area 1. It might hurt that area. 6 snows a day will keep people out longer and the birds will be harassed a lot more too which might push them out of Fir island a lot quicker.