How do I fix redfish?

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by BobGlover, Apr 20, 2018.

1. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

We went to Venice (fantastic time!) and brought back tedfish filets with scales on one side. What is the best way to fix them?

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

We call that "on the half shell," only we'll generally just split them, as when cooked the bones pull off the meat as easily as the meat does off the skin. I think them best cooked over coals, but they can be oven baked or broiled that way, too. Generally being too lazy to whip up my own butter sauce, I'll usually slather the raw side with a commercial (we like Tony Chachere's) butter, herb and garlic marinade or something similar and begin with that size down for a while before flipping and giving it another lick of whatever I'm using for sauce. When done (better too "under" than "over" we think) you can lift it off the skin with a spatula to serve.

(Now that I've stuck my neck out, the real cooks should be along shortly to point out my culinary inadequacies and set you straight.)

3. MobileMike

MobileMike Senior Refuge Member

Take the filetts off the skin. Next, soak in Italian dressing for an hour. Sprinkle some cajun seasoning on both sides. Next, lay them on a George Foreman grill and cook. You'll be shocked at how good they taste!

4. DComeaux

DComeaux Senior Refuge Member

I do as Rick mentioned, (coals or grill) but baste with a self made, seasoned, butter garlic concoction. I also make a ginger cream sauce to ladle over over the wonderful chunks of fish. (my mouth is watering while typing this)... I can't seem to find the recipe I use on the internet, but there are many variations with a lot of ingredients. The one I use has butter, ginger, cilantro, garlic, and a few other spices and liquids I can't remember at the moment. It also has heavy whipping cream. You can find one and improvise. There are some that incorporate yogurt. Those I'm unsure of.
    I think this ginger sauce lends itself well to that fish. I've had favorable results (disappearing fillets) and comments when feeding friends and family...... Do not overcook..

5. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Like Rick said, on the half scale. I use butter, and liquid lemon pepper and smoke it with pecan.

6. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Are they big or small fish.

Smaller fish are great on the half shell. Butter garlic, white wine, lemon, or filleted and blackened (or bronzed if you don't want to smoke up your house.

Bigger ones, make a court bullion (coo b yon ), or deep fried nuggets.

7. Rick Hall

If they're for our table, we cull the big redfish.

chasu, zanzan and bullpinnie like this.
  8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

For an accurate answer, you'll have to describe exactly how they are broken.

bullpinnie likes this.
  9. Rick Hall

Ouch.

10. chasu

chasu New Member

Marinate in Garlic powder and buttermilk overnight. The buttermilk will turn a light pink, but it'll draw the blood out of the meat. Stick it on the grill and coat it with a little olive oil, then coat generously with your favorite seasoning. When it gets browned well and the shell begins to separate from the flesh, it should be done. Drop a pat of butter on it and let it melt just before serving. Enjoy !!!