How do you hunt waterfowl.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Jun 13, 2019.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

The first times I hunted a good friends Brother in law took us to a lake and we shot at ducks flying past and over the cattails. We also did a little jump shooting on small rivers. The decoys while along a shore , then a boat.

My early geese were either pass shooting, , came to the duck spread or jump shooting
    Now I like to drive out to my pit,.. set 5-10 decoys, turn on the heat open up the forum and drink hot chocolate!

PorkChop and DuckFan like this.
  2. dukejb

dukejb New Member

Unsuccessfully so far. I’m 0 for 3 on waterfowl trips, but it was still better than sitting in the house. Hopefully next year will see a major increase in successes and attempts.

3. payton

payton Senior Refuge Member

Hunting over decoys has always been my thing, but jump shooting can be very successful. Pass shooting can be fast and furious when you're in the right spot, I like them all but hunting over decoys will always be my favorite. I like sitting with friends and family joking around, fixing lunch, talking about hunts we have done and hunts we would like to do. I've had some of the best talks with my boys while watching decoys. Lots of good times and sometimes we kill a few ducks.

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I mostly shoot decoying birds over water and field but won't pass up a pass shot if it is within range. Have a friend that I have hunted with for years and he will typically only shoot birds feet down right over the decoys and will sit and pass birds 10 yards up. He is retired now and hunts just about every day and we accept his desires but won't pass on a good clean pass shot when we gun with him but would stop someone gunning with us if they suggested on skybusting on high birds as this is sometimes the case with having a less experienced hunter along for the hunt.

I took a friend fishing on an old marsh mill pond and flooded timbers recently and told him about duck hunting there. We killed just as many billable birds pass shooting than decoying but the majority of birds were wood ducks.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I've always been one for in your face, feet down over the decoys. I went through a lot of hunting partners that lacked the patience or desire to let birds work. For years people I hunted with produced frustration and I'd only get to take passing shots because they couldn't wait. Recently I hunt alone 90% or more of the time. I work my butt off until it feels like my heart will pop out of my chest to get to good spots that nobody else is dumb enough to try to get to or weather most sane people don't want to go out in so I can be where I can let birds work. It's nice to be able to let birds go at 30 or even 25 yards because they weren't doing it how I want and see if they come around and do it right the next pass. 2 birds killed feet down is far more satisfying than 7 "in range" ducks. Honestly, shooting is the least fun part now other than trying to see how few shells I can kill a 7 bird limit with.

6. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Hunting over water doesnt water geese or ducks having a toll of mallards work your spread never gets old

7. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

8. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

With a gun

GetDuck and widgeon like this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

Tight holes have always been my true love. Away from others so we can work birds in super tight into the spread. Dry field hunting is cool a few times a season, but if it's not wet I just don't feel like I'm waterfowl hunting.
    So wet and tight are what I like.:yes:tu:tu:tu

Fowler267, 1911king, Kornfed and 2 others like this.
  10. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Last few years I've hunted mostly wood duckanin hardwood bottoms. We driveem like pheasants.

Fowler267 likes this.