How do you know when a screw in choke is shot out

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by SANJUANGLENN, Dec 10, 2012.

1. SANJUANGLENN

SANJUANGLENN Elite Refuge Member

I have a Remington 1100 12 ga. with a screw in choke. How does a shooter know when the choke is shot out. Can you measure it or just look at it?

Can you recomend a screw in choke for shooting steel BB's

Thanks,

SanJuanGlenn

2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Yes, you can measure the constriction, but if the tube is a standard Remington tube, you really don't know for certain what it measured new. I seriously doubt you have shot enough rounds through the gun to effect the choke at all. Steel shot is contained in the wad while passing through the choke. The wad is much softer than the choke tube. Out of Remington 1100 series guns, I have had good success with this choke in improved mod. You can get the same thing in a hunting choke in black if you don't like the shine.

http://www.briley.com/remingtonextendedchoke.aspx

3. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

I've never seen a choke that was shot out. If it is damaged (bulged for example) you can generally see evidence of that. It can easily be checked with a bore gauge to make sure there are no changes in the original choke dimensions. As far as after market chokes, I'd go with a reputable outfit such as Briley, Carlson, Trulock, or Angleport....my favorite is Briley. For a large shot size such as BB's, I've had the best luck with more open chokes, mainly IC and even Light Mod. You'll never really know for sure what works best in your gun until you pattern your load on paper with different chokes. But as a general rule most hunters like to use more open chokes with BB's.

4. john5657

john5657 Senior Refuge Member

Pattern the gun with the choke and the ammo you're using and see if it's doing what you want.

Don't worry about dimensions - worry about what the pattern looks like.

5. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

My dad wore out his tube.....he was missing for a good two weeks straight ( very rare for him). I cripple one up, when he swatted at it (bout thirty yards out) the pattern started about 10ft off his gun barrel and contined well past the bird. He replaced it with a Carlson.

Swat the water next time your out. Or if your worried about just pick up an aftermarket tube.

As far as chokes.......some of the more popular tubes are Carlson, kicks high flyers, brailys. Just to name a few. Carlsons sell a 3 tube set (ic, mod, full) for around a 100 bucks.

6. deuceswild

deuceswild Refuge Member

dad did the same thing, remington had lawsuits about the low quality of their metals. went trough 2 stock chokes got a briley extended range tube and it is now a kill zone around us. try it with different shells and different sizes his choke works best with 2 3/4 inch shells size 6 shot: and size 2-3" inch heavymetal.

7. Call Turner

Call Turner Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a Browning Silver and Gold with the Terror 675 choke, I could not get a pattern with a factory choke or a Pattern master without a hole in the middle and this was recommended on the shooting forum. It is the most devastating pattern I have ever shot. Mike

8. DMBgoosehunter13

DMBgoosehunter13 Elite Refuge Member

What load? I am shooting a Browning Gold with a Modified Patternmaster choke and it is deadly. I am shooting Hevi-Metal 3 1/2" #2's

9. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

What he said if there is no visible sign of barrel bulge right before the choke.

For example a full choke lead is 70-78% of the pellets fitting into a 30" circle at 40yds. Youi can research for other % like Imp Mod, Mod, etc..

BTW, I have heard that some have shot enough to indeed open up their older chokes. (But have not personally seen it). But newer (last 15 years) the chokes are special harder steel than say 20 years ago, especially 35+ years ago when lead was it.

10. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

If you put a lot of pellets into the shell, just about any choke is deadly.;)

The Terror chokes tend to show the biggest improvement with lighter, fast steel loads, those using thinner or more flexible wads, Kents being one factory brand that usually shows improvement. I've seen the biggest improvement with loads of 1 3/8 oz. or less in the 12ga. For some reason, Federals often display patterns which suggest the choke is too tight in constriction. But, it varies with the gun and load, too.

I have seen some wear on the forcing cone area of Briley Invector Plus Light Full choke tubes when shooting BBB steel shot at 1500 fps. using Multimetal wads. It appeared to be burnishing of the very fine machining marks, rather than the beginning of grooves. I assume that if enough similar shells were fired through it, it would wear. I do know, however, that the same loads shot through a .675" Terror choke showed no marks, other than some streaking from the plastic wads, which could be brass brushed out of the tube.