How much should we "bend" to interest kids in the outdoors?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Oct 30, 2017.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Amen.

Im a patient dude but the closest i ever came to smacking someone elses kid was when we had him in the duck blind and he said hed "only go deer hunting next year if i get a go pro for Christmas". Cheese and rice, man. Facepalm.

2. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

My 15 y/o son is becoming quite an archery deer hunter. He has his phone and a high end camera on stand with him. He will stand all day.

More importantly, he has sole access to roughly 220 acres of prime whitetail ground,so he will generally see a good amount of wildlife (like the red squirrel that recently camped out on his boot). Nothing bats access to quality hunting land.

3. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

4. Start one of these in your area.

http://youthoutdoorday.org/

4. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

I've been taking my eldest daughter since she was 7 and she just got her hunter safety this year. Her younger sister got to come last year for the first time.

Here's my take, no ipad or other electronics in the blind. Keep it short until they get older. Having them spend the day from sun up to sun down is going to burn them out and not make it fun. Different kids are going to have different tolerances so you need to adjust. Bring treats for the blind, pop tarts, candy, etc.

We did 1.5-2 hr hunts when we started. My oldest spent several full days in the blind last year and enjoyed it.

If you don't make it fun for them (fast food on the drive out, smores at the campfire, etc) they aren't going to want to come back.

IMG_1732.JPG IMG_2774.JPG IMG_2798.JPG IMG_5546.JPG IMG_5557.JPG

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

All depends on the kid. I don't mind silent electronics in the blind. Eventually they either decide the hunt itself is more fun or they quit going. I'd rather he go for a few years to at least give it a fair shot rather than run him off in a trip or two.

hobbydog likes this.
  6. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I think the fine line lies in, success breeds repeat outings (while lack of success may decrease outings or end them all together), success 99.99% of the time correlates directly to time in the stand or blind, but time in the stand is a battle if bored or unsuccessful too much.

So do we just hope to get junior on a ton of one hour hunts and hope he just lucks out on one of them? Or do we try to achieve success the "traditional" way, aka time in the stand, by using "non traditional" means to combat boredom?

I mean throw this equation a real curveball and say you only hunt public. No patterning a deer so regular you can set your watch to it, getting trail cam pics, and plopping junior in the blind 20 mins before Buckzilla comes through the fence row. Plus at least around here on public blinds must be packed in and out so thats a lot of screwing around and work for a 1 hour hunt that most likely won't end in success.

7. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Our PF chapter did something similar to that for a number of years. It was neat, but I don't know how many kids it hooked on hunting.

At my old place, I worked a deal with a neighbor who had roughly 330 acres, about 1/2 of which was in CSP, CRP, and various other programs. I agreed to manage the grasslands via controlled burns and chemical apps, in exchange for exclusive hunting rights.

I never hunted the place. We ran youth only pheasant hunts (no waivers, no safety lectures - just take your kid hunting) and it worked out great. You could not believe the caterwauling from a certain number of parents that were told they needed to leave their gun in the car while their 13 y/o kid gets to hunt, to the point of some refusing to hunt it. We managed hunting pressure, killed a goodly number of predators, and supplanted the wild bird population with released birds that were generally released in the spring.

Once the landowner died, his heirs booted us out, mainly because of the whining from a good number of adult neighbors who wanted permission to hunt there. At this point, it is a **** hole. Damn shame, but my guess is that 30 - 50 kids shot their first bird at that place. Given that many of the kids couldn't shoot worth a damn, we got a lot of mileage out of each rooster.

At my present location that I own, it is pretty much a deer and turkey set up. In my 11 years of owning it, I have only shot predators, cowbirds, and English Sparrows - but a good number of kids have shot their 1st deer or tom here.

Bottom line - get kids into quality land, put the kid first - and the recruitment factor will take care of itself.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  8. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Well row row row your boat. Lol

9. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

9D8AE0DA-EED7-49B0-9241-FD76FF4A3F59.jpeg 9DCAADB7-6E3D-4C01-90EE-00D6F66684D5.jpeg 793954B5-14FB-41DE-8B9B-9528DB7F0595.jpeg Get them out and let them have some fun

10. GBO

GBO Refuge Member

My oldest turned 5 this month. I plan to take him on two or three hunts. I dont expect to hunt longer than 2 hours, then grab some awful waffle. Once he is a bit older I will take him on a guided hunt yearly. I will have to get him out of east TN to get much success.