How much should we "bend" to interest kids in the outdoors?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Oct 30, 2017.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

I have a buddy here in north Alabama that can put him on a nice management deer

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

That part is much easier said than done. Or at least paid for.

The_Duck_Master and ducknwork like this.
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

To get tough you gotta endure some hardship first. :tu

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

My boys are 23 and 21 and my youngest hunts every day I hunt and then some, arranged his school schedule so he doesn't have school on Wednesday mornings. Growing up, they could bring game boy to the blind, my oldest did this more than younger one. If it was slow, had a few crap decoys they could shoot with bb/pellet gun, duck calls, etc. Had food and snacks, hot chocolate, anything to make it fun. My oldest hunts a dozen times or so a year with us. Whatever it takes to keep them going, I am willing to live with and then as they hit teenage years, they will decide what they want.

Roy G. likes this.
  5. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

This might help get the teenagers involved... DNU7iSlVQAAiy8o.jpg

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Something they'll never forget.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  7. Shot Caller

Shot Caller Senior Refuge Member

I bring the tablet in the blind while deer and Turkey hunting with my son. We use it as a refresher course on shot placement, via photos of different shot angles and the correct point of aim/point of impact. I also let him play some during the slow times.
    Waterfowl hunting, we never bring any electronics, to much fun to be had, either in the corn field or on the water. He can move around and play and talk with everyone. Usually keeps a good handle on the dog and loves helping pick up downed birds. Kids are a blast to have in the blind. Just need to have extra patience with them and keep em entertained.

8. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

You're right - the original landowner could have told me no. But he didn't. I also could have hunted the land with my buddies. But I didn't.

If it needs to be paid for - pitch the idea to a local outdoor org that has or retains funds for local use.

If adults wanted to get more get more kids into hunting, this is one avenue for that.

There has been an incredible expansion of government backed youth only days, government and organization sponsored youth "outdoor" events, etc. - and yet, hunter numbers are still declining. While well intentioned, they clearly are not having the desired result relative to recruiting.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

10. Moody

Moody Senior Refuge Member

I think it has a lot to do with the age of the kid. My son is almost 8 and sat this weekend for almost 2 hrs on the stand with me (he doesn't shoot yet). This is the first time he has never mentioned getting the phone out. The last two years I would give him the phone to watch whatever it was he wanted too, just to get through the slow times. I try to make it fun and leave it up to him. I try to hold the electronics out as long as possible, but I normally let him have them after the second or third time asking. We also leave when he says he's ready to go and try to keep it fun with snacks, etc. I will try to get him involved - let him "shoot" his bb gun at doves, give him the range finder or binos when deer hunting, etc.

(knock on wood) he seems to be getting quieter and more patient in the stand and more interested in hunting all together. I hope this trend continues with our situation.

Roy G. likes this.