Hunting with your wife!!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Dec 13, 2018.

1. igo4dux75

igo4dux75 Senior Refuge Member

Mine doesn't hunt, but fishes with me pretty often, as long as it is at least 60 degrees. She did however cut and wrap a elk by herself a couple weeks ago. She makes jerky, smokes fish, cooks ducks and other game, and always makes sure we have everything we might possibly need when I take the kids on a hunting or fishing trip. Completely happy with this set up!

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I bought my wife a gun (youth Berretta), and took her dove hunting our first year of marriage... She killed a limit of 10 dove in less than a box of shells in about 1/2 hour.... I politely tried to correct her shooting, and she pointed out that she did not seem to be having any trouble... She generally goes out with the kids on the opener of duck season, but has little interest in shooting... She has already made it clear that her gun will be the kids' gun... DON'T SELL IT!

Took her fly fishing once... Generally an easy spot to catch fish, but it was a tough day. I finally hooked a nice fish, handed her the rod, and she immediately dropped it in the river (my favorite and most expensive rod). I frantically retrieved the rod (which was still attached to the fish), and managed to land the fish.... I asked her why she dropped it and she said "it was pulling and startled me." That was the last time I took her fishing.

She encourages the girls to go with me (hunting and fishing), and manages not to roll her eyes too much when I bring them home covered in dirt and bug bites...

She loves "extreme" hiking... Asked me to go on her trip to the top of Mount Whitney with her friends. I asked if there was any good fishing (as it was summer)… I opted to have her go without me when I was told there would be no fishing... She did not even ask if I wanted to join her on her hike to the bottom, and back up in the Grand Canyon.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

A short while after I married my we got a new Yellow Lab, she said she wanted to go hunting with me to watch the dog work sometime and I wasn't thrilled about it much. So I waited for the nastiest, windiest, coldest storm of the year and brought her along. I figured if she liked it she might just be a hunter, I was thankful when she asked me which way was back to the truck an hour into the hunt. I ended up shooting a few Specks and four mallards and a sprig in just over an hour. When I got back to the truck she was sleeping so I went for a quick walk and jumped and killed a pheasant. When I got back to the truck the second time she was reading her book. I got in the truck and asked her if she wanted to take a quick walk to try to get another pheasant, she looked at me and said HELL NO, it's too cold outside. I knew right then I had picked the perfect weekend to take her hunting. Since then she wishes me good hunting and I snicker as I drive away. :yes:yes:yes

partyfowl likes this.
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Hunting is a good test for women. Can she jump in and carry her weight....or not. I've hunted a few times with women and also we put on a few women's hunts over the years. I honestly found that women can be a lot of fun and I have found that they are more serious about learning the sport than some guys who naturally know it all and heave their ways about all things.
    One thing though. All women should wear camo that has that little bit of pink trim to reaffirm their femminitttttty......yeah right. :doh

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

My wife was all for going----until I told her we were leaving about 4am then she just laughed at me. She'll go fishing and camping with me a bit, but has zero interest in duck hunting.

Squaller likes this.
  6. bsktball55

bsktball55 Senior Refuge Member

My wife grew up a city slicker. I got her to shoot guns a couple times when we first got together, but she has no interest in hunting. She enjoys sleeping too much and just doesn't have any interest. My MIL has a deep hatred for guns and was scared when they would sleep in our guest bedroom because she knew I kept my guns in the closet in there. One time they were visiting and I walked through my kitchen holding my bow while they were there and she made some comment about she doesn't like those things and that they scare her. Thankfully my wife and learned that an unloaded gun that is in the case in the closet is not dangerous and won't jump out and kill you. She actually started making sure my pistol was in my night stand whenever I went out of town, but that was the mentality that she grew up with.

7. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

My wife doesn't hunt but does like the shooting sports, and has gotten mad at me for going to the range without her. :l

8. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Before I was married to my wife, she used to go hiking, camping, and diving with me (she would not get in the ocean). When we were first married, she would go camping and fishing with me. I took her out to sea fishing one time and she got sick (real sick) and that was the end of fishing in the ocean. I took her to my first duck club to clean the cabin and she never wanted to go back. The last time I took her tent camping she got real cold (apparently colder than me) and that was the end of tent camping. I bought an RV and she went a few times, but said she would rather have someone cook for her and make her bed...so now she likes motels. When I spend too much time around the house...she asks; "Don't you have something to do like hunt or fish?"

So to make a long story short...we have been happily married for over 40 years. Time spent apart makes the heart grow fonder. I hunt and fish all I want...and she gets to stay home with the grand kids.

9. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

My wife is my main hunting and fishing partner
    181C95C3-480A-43A1-B95F-42BFD86477A4.jpeg
    1D89FC82-20EA-4656-9938-34EC0576218F.jpeg
    EBCE728B-4F04-42FD-8E7C-0E5A1BC86A11.jpeg

API, callinfowl, freefall and 5 others like this.
  10. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

She went with me once when we were first married in Arkansas and while chest deep in flooded timber a cottonmouth swam by close enough that I shot it. Last duck hunt for her. Perfect

newduk likes this.