I got the blues

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by HunterNWyo, Sep 13, 2017.

1. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

Got the girls and dog out for the opening weekend of grouse and managed to find a couple.
    IMG_2404.JPG
    Things are dry in SE Wyoming - lots of little seeps and springs have dried up - but where we found water and food, there were birds around. Scraped together a couple more last weekend. Will be trying for sage grouse this weekend.

WaterFoulHunter and Flyfisher like this.
  2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I'm jealous...

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Normally, I get 15-20 Blues per season, and a mix of a few Ruffs. This season I have not seen a single Blue, and only one group of Ruffs. Not sure why

4. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

No ruffs around here, so can't comment on them. We're finding singles and doubles of blues scattered around - no big coveys or family groups. Not seeing the berry crop I've seen in other years that's concentrated the birds, so thinking they're somewhat tied to water, but otherwise scattered looking for something to eat. I read on WGFD that they thought bird numbers were going to be down overall this year, but I've ran into at least one second hatch bird and from the spring/summer conditions around here, seems like the chick recruitment should have been pretty good.