I need wood...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Speckslayer, Jun 13, 2018.

1. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

^^This.

He's going to have a hell of time finding any wood that will process into what he wants. Also, he's going to have to process a lot more than he actually needs because a lot of it is going to crack when drying. I'd also seal the end grain and clamp the pieces while they dry so that they don't warp.

2. Gomer

Gomer Elite Refuge Member

I know a good balsa wood guy.

3. partyfowl

partyfowl Senior Refuge Member

I'm a carpenter by trade and woodworking is my main addiction at home.

I spend a lot of time at lumber yards and hardwood dealers. And have never seen manzanita. I'd call Aura to see if can be ordered, who knows.

If that doesn't work, find a manzanita and someone with an Alaskan chainsaw mill. If he's got a bandsaw mill, even better.

Sticker stack it and wait. And wait. And wait.

I've got some black walnut I've been waiting for a year to cut into. It was so wet I needed a rain coat when I cut it up.

4. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Manzanita (Arctostphylos) and madrone (Arbutus) have little in common, manzanita not much more than very large brush, and wood dark red and about as hard as carbon steel. Madrone is a tree, and large enough to get sawlogs out of, and ptetty easy to work. I have never seen a manzanita big enough to yield something you could put through a saw, but I have heard of very large manzanita in Mexico - do not remember where.

5. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

P S - on re reading your post I see the dimensions needed and we have manzanita trunks that could provide that kind of stock. but as Kevin said you are going to have to cut it for yourself. Lord knows what kind of seasoning would be required, hard as it is

6. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

http://www.arbutusarts.com/madrone-tree.html

This says that they are related. I have cut down a bunch of both of them and never seen a manzanita with a strait trunk longer than a foot. Madrones are huge trees.

7. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

I'd guess he is looking at the manzanita piece for the neck of an instrument. It is the hardest wood I've ever seen, and would probably be beautiful. Like Pete said, it certainly grows where it would make those measurements.

Madrone is something completely different, although the wood can sometimes be somewhat similar. I've seen madrone trees probably 5' dbh within Pete's old stomping grounds, which is where I get at least a couple cords a year of firewood madrone. I've also seen madrone too hard and twisted to cut with a chainsaw, which would have been beautiful for something like an instrument.

Kevin,
    Again check with Almquist Lumber, as they would know if there was a source. Ask for Rick, who sources, and is a serious duck hunter. I know they source for instrument makers. Best advice I can offer.

Mitch

8. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

9. ducky911

ducky911 Elite Refuge Member

10. LimitsOnRuddys

LimitsOnRuddys Senior Refuge Member

We recently cut ours down and have tons sitting in the burn pile. You're welcome to it if you're willing to come and get it. Monterey County.