Ice Eater Problems

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by calstefanko, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:20 PM.

1. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys haven’t posted in a while but figured there might be a few guys on here with some experience with an ice eater, so my situation is I put my ice eater in a 1/2 acre pond on a golf course that is being powered by wall outlet not a generator, there are around 1000 birds in the surrounding area and there are only 3 small pockets of water open and one of them is mine, one is another golf course 3/4 mile from mine and other is a private lake that has a good size hole but with the weather that’s coming up (28 in daytime and 17 at night) I’m thinking these others holes will freeze up. The reason I’m on here is because every hole except for mine has birds in it, and the only thing I can think of that might affect it is the fact that it is in a lower area of terrain and the other is there is a river that runs on the other side of the pond but I don’t get how that will affect anything, either way I’m in the direct flight path of a good amount of these birds and still nothing. Any help or tips?

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Are you not getting anything while hunting or you're not seeing any birds use the waterhole and haven't hunted it yet?

3. calstefanko

Not seeing any birds use it and haven’t hunted it yet, checked the other golf course pond down road and that’s froze over now leaving only 2 spots

4. negooseman

Might just be an area they don't like(we have a spot like that near Omaha). River might act like a boundary line for them.

5. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

How do you have the ice eater set? Do you have it boiling above the surface or set keeping the water moving silently?

Throw 2 floaters in and leave them. Scout from a distance and leave it alone until or if you start picking up birds.

6. calstefanko

It’s just under the water an inch and making a bit of noise...do you think I should put it deeper down and let it go silent? Either way I’m pulling it just for the day tomorrow because we have a pond next to a field with 700 in it and are gonna try trafficking them into them the ice eater will be back in. I will try that when I put it back in thank you

7. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

That right there is the right way to run it....the boiling spooks them at times , especially new birds to the pond. If it is a mallard view brand with the frame you can adjust the thrust direction easily. I have mine abut 1 foot under water to the top of the hooded bucket =thingy that encases the proper and run it pro thrust is parallel the surface, so it is a straight out thrust a foot under. It moves water out at least forty yards and keeps big hole open; and is silent except for an occasional sucking sound if windy.

8. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

You may try and lower it so it's not gurgling. Ice eaters not only work on water movement but in deeper water they bring the "warmer" deep water up and circulates it.

calstefanko likes this.
  9. calstefanko

Good to know thank you guys

marshmob likes this.
  10. negooseman

Can't hunt the field the birds are in?