Ice fishing electronics

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by marsh man dan, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:32 AM.

1. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Anyone use the three hummingbird helix 5 for ice fishing? I thought it would be sweet cause the GPS plus flasher capability but want opinions before purchase.

Or am I better off just buying a flasher?

2. ScottO

ScottO Senior Refuge Member

I use a Vexilar and a hand held GPS with a lake chip. I'm sure a Helix would work fine for fishing, but realistically how do you use the GPs? The unit needs to be mounted in the portable case with the battery. Not very convenient when walking to a spot, driving a sled/atv or truck. With handheld it goes in front pocket while walking, in RAM mount on handlebars of sled or sits in cup holder in truck for the few times I actually drive out. Use the sled most of the time. Put the handheld in the handlebar mount, drive to spot, pop it out and walk to exact spot. I love my boat mounted GPS/fishfinder for summer fishing, but the description above is what I found works best in winter. YMMV. Good luck and stay dry!

marsh man dan likes this.
  3. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

FYI there is a navionics app for your phone. When you have cell service it is quite accurate, and convenient. No service and you are SOL, largely dependent on where a person is fishing.

SconnieBoy, take'm and marsh man dan like this.
  4. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Marcum vexlar or hummingbird flasher anyone feel one is actually more superior then the other?

5. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I have an Ice55 and really like it. It’s been used a lot for 7-ish years and no problems. $55 rebate on them plus 10% off with a coupon at Cabelas until the 16th.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:13 PM
  6. fishmunkee

fishmunkee Senior Refuge Member

I've had a Vex Fl18 for about 15 years and its been good to me. I also have a Marcum LX6 (or 7 can't remember) and it is nicer when stationary but I like the better Vex for hole hopping. My brother has the intro level Marcum flasher and it does fine also. They'll all help you catch more fish.

7. SconnieBoy

SconnieBoy Refuge Member

IMHO I think you would like them all the same. I have a humminbird ICE 35 and love it, buddy has a Marcum and loves it, another buddy has a vexilar and loves it. They all will help you catch fish just the same. I went with the humminbird due to the rebate they offered when I bought it a couple years ago. I have fished right next to marcum's and vexilars with no interference issues

8. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

I have the Ice 55 and the Helix Ice 7. Have had the Ice 55 for 6 years and it's been good.
    I just bought the Helix last year at the end of the year and didn't get much time to play with it but I have one on my boat so I'm familiar with them. I agree with others about the navionics app for your phone. I do like the idea of marking spots with the Helix as well as the charting ability for tracking movements during fish strikes, but I will have to get more experience with it before I can give a full report.

9. gotdux

gotdux Elite Refuge Member

I bought the Ice Helix 7 last season. Dropped the Lakemaster Plus chip into it and it was awesome for finding drop-offs and pinpointing depths on the ice which saved a lot of drilling. Really like the unit; easy to use, decent battery life (run the screen brightness at 50%), and great sensitivity. But I made it a multi-purpose unit by using it as my rear graph on the boat for summer trolling. Just had to buy the transom mount transducer and a power cord for the boat. Worked out sweet, and now I have a lot of waypoints on the GPS that I can go back to while on the ice. Believe they are now marketing a package with the transom mount ducer and power cord for those wanting that set up right out of the box.

10. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

Get the fl-18 vexilar, most useful, most simple, most practicle, most durable, great service....my fl-8 lasted 26yrs until the motor finally quit. $100 and 3 days later, my fl-8 is working better than ever. I couldn’t get the fl-18 26yrs ago or I would’ve. Bottom zoom is awesome