Interesting survey on "The American Dream"

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by The_Duck_Master, May 15, 2019.

1. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Worth the read...

The American Dream: Not Dead -- Yet
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/03/06/the_american_dream_not_dead_--_yet_139659.html

2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Interesting read. Seems like the struggle is determining whether we "deserve" the dream as a birthright or is the dream something to "achieve".

OneShotBandit likes this.
  3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

American Dream not dead ...yet? Hmmm, economy is way up, unemployment is the lowest, practically ever, businesses booming, businesses returning to the US at an incredible rate, houses are becoming more nd more scarce because more and more people are getting into home ownership, everyone has a nice big flatscreen or two or three. Poor people are fat cause they eat and drink too much. Businesses are crying for workers. Salaries are up.
    All this and the American Dream becoming dead? The American Dream is alive and well. The perception of the American Dream has changed by some because that is what they are taught/ indoctrinated into believing. . The Dream used to be opportunity and rights. Give me those two things and with my bare hands and with my back and wit and honesty and deep desire to work, I can come to America and live my dream. My people did it in the early 1800's. Came with a few bucks, worked hard and built a slaughter house in Brooklyn.Passed it on for a few generations. My other people came here, my Grandpa was orphaned at 8 was in the mines all through Europe and finally bought a ticket to America. Started in the mines again, then built his life by pushing a broom and worked his way up to become a Master Tailor, bought one house, then another. Fathered 11 children. He knew what he came from and where he immigrated to and he and my Grandma thanked God every day for the country they lived in now. They lived the American dream, they, along with so many.... are the American Dream.
    No one gave them a thing except Lady Liberty. Charity was a one way street to them, always had some money for the church's charities, no matter how poor they were.Never complained, never would think that America owed them anything. "Always remember the Poor Box" my Grandma would teach all her kids.
    I don't see the American dream as anything but alive and thriving. Those that believe in work and themselves are fine, the others, the complainers, the shirkers, the ones that simply never really worked a day in their lives worth a schmitt, simply can't see the American Dream that is in front of their noses.
    THE American Dream that so many others risk their lives to become a part of.
    My Dad and Mom, WWII generation worked hard every day of their lives. Same with their sons, same now with their grandsons. My son understood how important an education was all the way through college and that in college, he had better get good grades, do the maximum, not the minimum or he could go to a different college that was a lot cheaper. He got it,stood out in class, was recommended for internships by his professors, worked 30 hours internship and full time student his senior year. He graduated and was already head hunted, already had a job when so many of his classmates just started looking. . Worked his arse off and earned promotions in the firm. In 5 years, he now sits and works just outside the top management and owners. Has big responsibilities and takes them head on. Never given a thing, earned it all. At 16 he was working full time in a dry cleaner with no air conditioning and stuck with it, and never complained or wanted a cushy job. . Yet another generation of my families living, making and being the American Dream.

4. The_Duck_Master

I suspect that is a lot of why some believe one way vs the other but not why age is a factor.

5. The_Duck_Master

This is a prime example of a case where attitude is everything, isn't it? Humans by nature blame others for their failures.

6. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That amazes me, how can Blacks/African-Americans keep voting DemocRAT and being held down in the 'hood? Free stuff as a "bribe?" And my Asian "Brothers & Sisters" what gives? Since I didn't make a million dollars by the time I was 60 then all I have to do is look in the mirror as maybe I should have done more then party when I was younger. My Mother started working in a GM plant here in town in 1972(?) when Nixon did the Affirmative Action Bill (again?), put in 28 years (she was 35 when she started), made enough money to go back to Japan 3 TIMES & take my sisters!!!! I would say that the American Dream is still out there you just gotta want it!

7. API

I'd posit that blaming is more about a culture of perceived victimhood and refusing to accept accountability.

8. The_Duck_Master

Striving for the ideal while living with the reality of our failures is essential for improvement in some and necessary for survival in others.

9. API

Yep, and job #1 in problem solving is determining root causes rather than focusing on symptoms. That’s where the primary personal role comes into play.

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Biggest problem with the American Dream today is not so much achieving it if you work and try hard enough, it's loosing it many times with circumstances that could be totally out of your control. Bad economic downturns, family issues like divorce, and major illness can strip a person of everything they have achieved in a very short amount of time.

Huntsprig likes this.