Is it time yet?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by BangingBirds, Mar 5, 2018.

1. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

well- I thought it was about time to introduce you guys from early day's... Georgia and state draw 1986... The tent was the camp out. State draw 20 miles from Macon.. Steve Burnett with the turkey killed 400 yrds from us in late afternoon. He was drumming. Steve was tri state calling champion at the time. He was featured in the Constitution field page many times. The other pictures are of me on my family's farm not far from the draw area. Beaver dam's included. while I was in college in Atalanta, we even hunted turkeys north of Dahlonega in the blue ridges.. where does time go?
    I'm ol man now, but I can still get done:) CA is ready to open. I can't wait!
    me1.JPG

GA2.JPG

Squaller, widgeon and callinfowl like this.
  2. BangingBirds

here is my boy's painting of the beaver dam... Love him-Southern boyz. I miss home:(
    trev painting.JPG

callinfowl and stevena198301 like this.
  3. BangingBirds

well, I went check to the Cams by myself this time:rolleyes: Sneak attack on the wife- this one is my daughters if everything holds another week. Me and the Boy will be camping and hunting mountains after. Ladies 1st:yes:tu Oh the itch is terrible. This is worst than bux and dux!
    Boss Hog2.jpg

callinfowl and stevena198301 like this.
  4. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

BangingBirds likes this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Well... Got to take a few hours off work this morning, to slip over to a local WMA that's now open. Decided I was gonna climb up one of the mountains on it. Got to the top about 45 minutes before daylight (not sunrise), and figured that was as good a place as any to sit and listen to nature wake up. Climbing that mountain worked me up into a good sweat, so I sat there for about 15 minutes with my sweater off, to cool down. After cooling off a bit, I picked out a tree about 20 yards away that I had just walked past on the way up, and put out my little turkey chair. I got all my stuff where I wanted it, and began to sit down...

Next thing I hear, as I'm turning, and my butt is hitting the chair? Wingbeats, from a gobbler flushing off the roost in the tree right in front of me. I know he was a gobbler, because even in the dark, I could make out that nice long beard. :mad: :doh :z Just my luck, I guess.

I stayed put until 0830, before packing it in and heading home to get ready for work. Some days this stuff is way to much like hunting... :cry

widgeon likes this.
  6. BangingBirds

That sucs. You gonna get after him again? The good news is that you know where is:)

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I start testing a satcom shot with Bahrain tonight. Won’t be able to go again until next week. Grrr...

8. BangingBirds

gotta pay the bills:tu I'm sure it will be a looooooooooooong week:yes

9. BangingBirds

Owner arrived. Me and my daughter headed out to our private property at 4am. Short drive away.. less than an hr from the house. Stopped to grab coffeee. Ran into a turkey hunter . Asked where we were going and told. He said I’m headed the opposite direction. So ironic he was hunting 15 mins from where I worked. Sheesh .

Full moon delight- wow. I could see an 1/8 of a mile. The toms were going bananas at 520 in the morning. We finally settled into our blind at 545.

620 and it’s hunt time. At ~7am I called in the boss hog. He was 25yds from us. The bad news , he was on the other of bob wire and property boundary. He was there strutin for about 10 mins. When I handed my daughter her gun, he looked at the blind. We were totally blacked out. Mesh in place and only 2 panels opened. He stop strutten and just walked off. To say the least, she was bummed.

At 1045, 2 jakes came in at 25yrds on our property. I said take one, she says a NO Pops, I want the big one.

We stayed until 1 because I was headed 4hrs north with the wife for 2 days of hunting . We finally got tonite north valley at 5pm. My buddies wife text us to say 5 huge huge Toms have been strutting right next to our setup. Something to be said about setting all day.

Good look all. We have a shot on public land in a few hrs. Our daughter is has to go back to school from spring break next week. I told here her I would get her next Friday and we would spend all 3days in the blind.

Good luck guys.

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I hunted with my youngest daughter on the opener, and was too "pre-occupied" to take in some of the enjoyment I really get from turkey hunting... Always love to hear the gobbles (which my daughter also enjoyed), but I had other considerations... We were able to harvest a bird and create a humorous and fond memory for both of us...

I went out by myself on Sunday (before church with the family), and heard ducks calling, geese honking, coyotes yapping, quail calling, and yes, turkeys gobbling... I really enjoy hearing the forest wake up, and am fortunate to hunt an area with a lot of wildlife.

There was that moment of panic when I thought I had miscalculated my set-up (from hearing birds gobble the morning before) and considered moving, only to hear birds gobble well within 100 yards of me... I love that anticipation after hearing a gobbling bird on the limb... Turns out I had set up on a bunch of jakes though...

I chased two other sets of gobbling birds before leaving at 9:30 am and everything I set up on were jakes... But... I love that anticipation of hearing a gobble, and it always thrills me to hear that drumming when I cannot yet see the birds (like seeing a big package on Christmas and hoping for that new bike)....

With waterfowl, the anticipation is vastly visual, but with turkeys the anticipation is auditory... You don't know if you are calling in the biggest tom you have yet to kill, or a late hatched jake from last season... And, I am always thrilled when I see that red bobbing head appear in the distance, and have to utilize all of my self control to stay perfectly still and quiet while hoping beyond hope that that bird continues forward to me (and that I don't blow it)....

BangingBirds likes this.