Is it time yet?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by BangingBirds, Mar 5, 2018.

1. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

Got back from the hunting up north with my wife Monday night. Needless to say it was an adventure. Headed down a jeep trail with crew cab SD250 diesel 4x4 at 2am Sunday morning:eek: . It was about 2 miles to get to the bottom of the canyon-40mins later pretty tuff and scary, some spots were 6 inches on side. Huge boulders on 1 side and the drop off to the bottom on the other. Water still coming out of the hills. up down, up down, switch back. Rocks grinding the truck and mud flying. You get the idea. I need a freaking light bar. eyes aren't what they use to be. Finally got to where we needed to be. Hiked in and setup the blind. Called in a jake and 2 hens from the next ridge at at 645. My wife missed the jake at 40yds at ~710am. Oh my the expletives; ok wow the expletives:scratch Who is this person:l You get the idea:l The birds just kinda walked off. 930 got a response to a big Tom, we could see him about 300 yrds up the ridge. Fanning back and forth. Cutts, Purrs, yelps. kept calling. seemed endless. He started to come when I went to a fighting purr. Then, he just stopped. This was nuts. 45 mins of calling and wouldn't come in. We sat idle until about 2pm. every 30 mins or so I was letting out a very loud series of yelps to carry up and down the canyon. Finally got a response from 3 different Toms. jeez, they were waaaaay off, 400-500yds. Man, turkeys can hear:clap After 1 hr of going back and forth, 2 Toms finally showed on the same ridge where the one was in the morning that wouldn't come down. Spent 40mins calling back and forth- nothing they finally walked off. 20 mins of shoot time left , we decided to pack up and head out because we knew what was in front of us. Put the truck in low 4x4; just wanted to get back to the top of the canyon without getting stranded. Made it up to the gate in about 1 hr. My wife went to unlock the gate and the truck bogged down on a 45 deg incline.:reader Buried it to the rear pumpkin. Thank god there was finally cell coverage. Called a friend with an off road jeep that had a super duty winch. He came and pulled us out. Decided Monday hunting was out after the truck beating, so Sunday night succumbed to a couple bottles of red wine:tu All in all a great trip. Lots of great memories, especially being in god's country an spending time with my wife.
    bccer118.JPG bccer218.JPG

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. BangingBirds

Got out with my wife yesterday afternoon at honey hole. Wow .. what a display by the the Boss Hen. She almost went in to a gobble and full fan :yes:tu It was hot and the boyz weren't far as we saw them driving in taking shade under the trees:nutz So close on all of these birds. gonna keep hunting hard until the ladies put 1 down.

boss hen.jpg

stevena198301 likes this.
  3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

That looks like an area I know in the central valley... Have heard birds in there, but have not had the courage to chase them... I know my truck will not make it, and my quad is not 4-wheel drive.

Inevitably, the birds are below me, an I have no problem heading down hill after them... They are always further "down" than I thought, and all is good and wonderful when you harvest the bird, only to realize the painfully long walk back up that canyon....

BangingBirds likes this.
  4. BangingBirds

Got the wife out this morning for a quick hunt. Rained hard last night and high winds-30-40 in the area we were gonna hunt . Placed out a jake, breeder hen, and feeder hen. Tom's were quiet on the roast. Finally saw a hen cuttin the pasture 150 yds from us. made a couple soft yelps and purrs. she started to head our way. Then we heard the gobble:yes coming from the treeline behind her. She stayed on course towards us. Got within 50yds. Tom still coming. She starts yelping real loud looking for us. I purred multiple times real low. The tom finally caught up with her. Sheesh:z I am praying:pra not another hung bird. I purred again real softly , he looked over and saw the dekes. He veered off of her and towards us. 10 mins goes by of strutting and walking. The wife was getting anxious:fp He finally squared up with the Jake. He didn't spurr him, just fanned out. This went on for a couple minutes,. he finally turned as if to head to the breeder hen. My wife let her rip and put the proverbial lead to the head. Dropped him in tracks. Her smile tells the tale. One happy lady right there. 1 down, 1 to go.. Going to pick my daughter up from the university tonight and get her out in the morning. The big boy is still there for her if we can connect. Good luck guys

22Lbs , 9 3/4 inch bird, 1 1/8 spurs

angie turkey 3.JPG angie turkey 1.JPG angie turkey 2.JPG

stevena198301 and Squaller like this.