Is the Refuge Forum getting soft?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by GOIN' LITE, Oct 22, 2009.

1. GOIN' LITE

GOIN' LITE Elite Refuge Member

Is it just me or are there ALOT more guys with 30 posts asking about spots?

Kinda seems like the "Yes We Can" groupies want to come on here and hold hands and share info. When someone like PhilN or BDG set 'em straight there are another group coming to defend the offenders and ask "why we can't all be nice, courteous, helpful, whatever?" I think the best was something I recently read that said something to the effect of this forum should be about hunters helping hunters and if you don't agree maybe you shouldn't post anymore.

IMO the following is an acceptable way to ask for hunting info:
    I am being transferred from out of state. I have never been to the area I am moving to and know nothing of the hunting opportunities. Would someone mind sending me a PM to tell me the names of the refuges I should go scout?

Where is Calikev?

2. black&blueshoulder

black&blueshoulder Elite Refuge Member

dude it's a few days before the opener - that's how it works every year

3. GOIN' LITE

GOIN' LITE Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, maybe. Just seems like more of it to me this year.

4. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Definitely seeing a lot more of those............. :scratch

5. vital_kill

vital_kill Elite Refuge Member

6. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

the whole society is going soft - there is no immunity.:joker

7. Artois

Artois Elite Refuge Member

If any one has a top ten number at a major NVR let me know. You must have decoys, cart, extra gun and shells (plus back ups in your truck) and a pair of new waders, size 10 that I can "borrow" (I promise to return them in February). If you can pick me up and take me home so that I can drink all day, even better. Also, if you could pluck and clean my birds for me, that would be a plus and save me from having to bury them in the back yard.

What will I bring to the table:

I've never hunted duck before, but how hard can it be?

I can call, been calling for two weeks now.

I have a dog to bring. He's a terrier/bulldog mix and not well trained, but SHOULD be able to do the job.

I promise to shoot first and identify the birds later. Don't worry, if "we" shoot a gull instead of a goose (I think their called snows or something like that), you can just hide it in the bushes.

If you a bad shot, not a problem, cause I'm GREAT and will shoot your birds for you.

By the way, what's legal to shoot this year and is there any limit on how many you can kill in a day?

8. huntnduks

huntnduks Senior Refuge Member

As a new guy to the forum,I enjoy hearing about everyones hunt stories & results-love the pictures too! I don't pay attention to talk about "spots" I will never ask for any,or share mine! There is alot of "Do your homework" being posted as the season gets closer.Spot On! Do your homework.People have certain spots they like to hunt because of good past experience or good cover whatever! But things change,A good spot last year may not be this year! The slate is clean come Saturday! I can't wait! Usually on the opener every spot is a good spot!

9. Barleysoda

Barleysoda Elite Refuge Member

Ok now in return you will have to do this. Continue to buy a hunting license every year. Vote for gun rights, conservation ideals and always remain pro-hunting. Do everything in your power to pay it forward and give another new hunter what I gave you.

Once I teach you how to do it you will love it and become addicted. You will quickly be buying all your own gear. Even if you dont like roast duck you will like duck sausage and quickly learn how to breast your birds for the jerky and sausage pile.

My Dad has never hunted a duck or goose a day in his life. How do you think I got into this? A guy did exactly for me what your sarcastically asking for. He taught me to do my homework but in the process he burned a few secret spots showing me how. On day one everything I had on me except my underwear was his. he drew a very low number at LDC and took me. Everything your asking for in your joke was actually done for me and I became a duck hunter. I am now a member of CWA and DU. I will fight the fight to keep waterfowl hunting legal in California.

Pretty good investment wouldnt you say DJ?;)

10. shooter

shooter Elite Refuge Member

To folks looking for the easy solution, I'll tell you - If you don't earn it, it doesn't feel the same. Unless you pay your dues, success just isn't as sweet.

Get out there and put your time in, there are worse places to be and worse things to be doing with your time. You may be amazed at what you learn about your hunting spot, about nature in general and maybe even about yourself.

Yes, we're all very busy, but each one of us has 24 hours in each day. How you spend those hours is up to you.

Overcoming difficulties gives you confidence that could extend to other parts of your lives.

Try it, I think you'll like it.