Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

June Trip

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by mrmallerd, May 14, 2018.

1. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

For years, the family has been asking about my yearly hunting trips north. This year we decided to make a trip during June. At present, we plan to take our time traveling, stop by Redlins Museum, go up thru Manitoba, over on Rt 16, spend a few nights at a friends cabin at one of the parks near Saskatoon, then head back by way of Tobin Lake, The Pas, & south on Rt 10, & work our way home.

With that in mind, I am curious as to what sites others would recommend.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Riding Mountain National Park is nice. Clearwater lake in The Pas, 3rd clearest blue lake in the world. Bring your fishing rods and try some of the lakes on the way through. Provincial campgrounds are great, and you can book on line. Should be a nice trip.

3. mrmallerd

Plan on spending 3 days & nights at Lake Kipabiskau, then traveling up to Tobin Lake for a couple days & then heading over towards The Pas & down to Winnepeg & then home. We have one day to fill & to many places to stop. Thinking of Clearwater Lake, Gimli, & Oak Hammock. Any ideas would be appreciated.

4. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Oak Hammock is worth a visit. The Narcis (?) snake pits are close to. Haven’t been there yet, waiting for the grandsons to get a bit older.

Where are you dropping down back into the states at?

5. mrmallerd

Pembina, & yes, we are stopping in at Watertown on the trip up. Considering we will be spending 5 days & nights near Provincial Parks & Lakes, I am leaning about spending the extra time at Oak Hammock. However, we might take an hour & stop by Clearwater.

6. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

It’s a nice drive from Winnipeg to Kenora and drop down into Minnesota at Baudette or International Falls. I live in Warroad MN on the south shore of Lake of The Woods at the Manitoba border. Even crossing there and driving across northern MN offers some options. The Vince Shutz (sp?) bear sanctuary in Orr MN is worth a stop. Nice scenery over to Duluth which has some sights to see. Then head south through Wisconsin.

Having driven I-29 many times across ND the scenery can get a bit dull. Northern MN is a bit more scenic for sure

Have a good trip.