Just out of curiosity how old are you and how many years have you been a waterfowler ?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by callinfowl, Aug 1, 2017.

1. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

80, 81 this year. Hunted since age 12. So 68 years waterfowling.

DuckFan and callinfowl like this.
  2. pukeko

pukeko Senior Refuge Member

Turn 55 in November, been waterfowling since I was 12. Self taught, nobody in my family hunted. Also started taxidermy from a book at age 12. Been busy with both ever since. When I was a teenager I had fantasies of travelling the world hunting ducks. In 2011 I began to do this earnestly starting with a DIY hunt in NZ. In 2014 I did my first DIY duck hunt in AK. In November I'll be headed back to AK for DIY duck hunt #4 and again in December. Travelling our continent for waterfowl has rekindled that flame.

callinfowl likes this.
  3. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

72 years old, and started hunting with a .410 regularly with my Dad when I was 7. So I guess I've been hunting for 65 years.

DuckFan and callinfowl like this.
  4. Will Senn

Will Senn New Member

16 :) and have been hunting for 3 years now

5. carsonr2

carsonr2 New Member

38, been hunting since 1991, so 26 seasons. Mostly geese for those first few years as my dad was a dry field hunter, but tagged a mallard over our field spread my second season. Graduated to water once I had a pair of waders and was strong enough to trudge through the slop.

It is truly awesome to know that so many of you guys have been at this for 50-60 seasons or more. I hope I have the health to continue this passion until I'm in my 70's and 80's. Inspiring to say the least.:clap

callinfowl likes this.
  6. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Almost the exact same story for me (except I have a couple years on you)... Been hunting since I was old enough to keep up with my dad pheasant and quail hunting. Dad hated duck hunting (too cold, wet, etc.). An uncle took me duck hunting when I was 14, and as soon as I had my driver's license, I was duck hunting every day during the season that I wasn't in school. I'm 41 now...

7. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Will be 70 in 3.5 months.
    Killed first duck at 13 at Grizzly Island. Drake Widgeon. First geese at Delevan later that December.
    I missed one duck season when at Valdez working the Alaska Pipeline in 1975.
    Have more than made up for it since, but Winters of ice and snow in Eastern Idaho will probably start slowing me down for late seasons in a few years. I'll just hunt harder earlier!
    Since my early teenage years in California, I have hunted ducks and geese in Alaska, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, and the last 32 years in Idaho.

callinfowl, CalBaer and Flyfisher like this.
  8. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

63 and 37, wish I'd started sooner, this is a wonderful affliction!

callinfowl likes this.
  9. Green house

Green house Refuge Member

51 and started going with my brother was I was 8 and shot my first duck at 12. Ill be enjoying my 39th fall flight.

callinfowl likes this.
  10. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

I know pretty dedicated fishermen, and there are very enthusiastic Big Game hunters out there as well, I have been, and am still a Trout and Bass fisherman. Probably caught near a thousand Salmon flying the Bush in Alaska for some years. I have taken Moose, Caribou, and Trophy Dall Sheep, and Deer, all that is Grand, but I have not pursued any sport as satisfying, and enjoyable as Waterfowling.
    I suppose I am closing in on my 57th year in the Rice fields, Grasslands, Cattail marshes, rivers, creeks, and stubble fields, and as far as age and infirmities allow, I still put in my time toward enjoying the sport both at home and in the field.
    I extend my season, and the anticipation of it by working to make equipment as ready as can be by refreshing decoys, blinds, keeping the eye in tune by shooting at least a little clay in the off season, usually right before it begins with the greatest intensity.
    I keep a close eye to the changes of the seasons and celebrate every step they take in getting us closer to the hunt.
    Every hunting season is anticipated, not just for the sport itself, but for all that is bound up with that special time of the year.

What would Christmas be like without the Tree, the presents, the lights, and music?
    How lacking in the essentials would Autumn be without the cooling temperatures, the hunts, best fishing, NFL Football, Baseball Pennant races and World Series, all of the very best Holidays just lined up to enjoy?
    Yeah. The waterfowl seasons come with the very best life has to offer....may you enjoy many seasons of such riches!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    I missed? likes this.