Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Kayak blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Duane Read, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Duane Read

Duane Read Senior Refuge Member

How do keep your gun so it wont get caught in the netting?

2. rscholl

rscholl Senior Refuge Member

OK - so skip the doors but have the netting lay over the opening of the kayak - split down the middle. Cut the ends clean so you have a smooth exit. Pull the sides over you after you lay down then sit up through the netting on your way to shoot. A separate blanket seems like a pain to me ...

Duane Read likes this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I cut pieces of brown or camo tarp and zip tie them to the bottom side of the netting also helps keep water out of the boat when it's raining. I also made a hood that is kind of like a BBSB with tarp inside of it, it really cuts the wind and chill and keeps rain off of your head while letting to keep your head up a bit higher if you like that. I can sit up to shoot without flipping it and scaring the crap out of the birds. It can be unclipped from the blind if you don't need it. I use shower curtain clips and they can also be used to clips the blind to fixtures on your boat. A couple of PVC cross bars support it over the cockpit when in use. I don't attach my blind to the boat, it lays on top like a blanket so I can roll it up when transporting or if it needs to be hung to dry. Raffia tends to get heavy and rot when it soaks up water.

freefall and Duane Read like this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

So, as I sat in my shop reading this thread two nights ago, I decided to play with my Ascend FS10. I like your idea. I didn’t use paracord wrapping, as I was afraid of it getting cut on rocks. I intend to float a few creeks. I attached 1” garden fencing to various points of the existing hardware. I couldn’t find the size of your garden fencing at Home Depot, even though they said they had it in stock. Found this. We’ll see how it holds up. I’ll post brushed pics when I brush it. This is what I got started tonight. Very first draft. And I’ve got a Old Town Vapor 10 to do next.

image.jpg image.jpg 64D15AA5-D66F-4533-AEA6-4F364DF28F38.jpeg 86EEF246-2E94-47B4-8671-B0EF4A8768B5.jpeg

Doors center flip, and I’m going to add pvc pipe to each edge to keep them solid. Also adding more fastener to the sides to hold it down better. Just not there yet.

Duane Read likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

Very similar to mine on my aqua pod without the door frames. One little bit of advice I can give is to cut the plastic fencing closer to the edge of the boat. If you don't, when you get in the boat your camo material will drag in the water slowing you down when paddling and also slowing maneuverability. Having it an inch or 2 out of water won't hurt a thing and If you pull it up shore to use for a blind the grass on the ground will cover the gap.

1129161543.jpg The dark spot is where I get in and out, it gets wet and muddy

6. stevena198301

That thing does look nice. But, from what I gather, it's made for an FS12, not an FS10. I imagine it could be taken up though.

7. rscholl

rscholl Senior Refuge Member

I put it on a 10' aquapod and just cut the edge to fit the shape of the boat. The extra fabric slowed the boat to almost zero and made paddling nearly impossible.

stevena198301 likes this.
  8. stevena198301

Two boxes of Killer Weed blind camo. Added 3/4x1/16 flat aluminum in 12-18” strips to contour around main stress points where I may scrape a log. Riveted around the top edge of the yak.

image.jpg

Rear square has a camo flap hatch, so it can still be used for storage. Left side cockpit flap is longer, to completely hide that side of me. Right is shorter, but enough to cover my shoulder. Added 2 el cheapo broom handles, cut down the center, and slid the mesh in, then zip tie clamped the handle back together. Now, the entire flap swings open like a door. Handle comes up to around 6 inches in front of my chest, when closed.

image.jpg

And, closed up with broom handles propped up on console shelf.

ABBC5E2D-C1D9-488E-B64C-AE3F36E63EF7.jpeg

Really closed up.

image.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Billy Bob

Looks good. :tu