Killing my first duck.

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by English_Pointer, Oct 28, 2018.

1. English_Pointer

English_Pointer New Member

View attachment 194649
    Alright so I went down by Utah lake and me and my dad set out our decoys at 6:45. In the spot there was a group of reeds and we were sitting in the middle. At about 7:30 a group of teal buzzed our decoys but we didn't see them coming. We didn't shoot because when we saw them they were past our decoys. I started quaking and feeding calling. Before they went to far they turned and came back. I told my dad to wait till I said shoot them. He didn't even know they were coming back. By the time I called it and shot the were past our view point. I shot into the mass of 6 and dropped 2. My dad wishes he would've recorded my reaction, I was hooping and hollering. They were 2 blue wing teal hens. Then after a while at about 7:50 two merganser came into the dekes and we both shot. He dropped a hen merganser with a short youth model 20 gauge. I wanted to use his 12 gauge lol and the other 12 gauges had no plugs so we couldn't take them. Anyway the merganser went down and I started to wade out there. The dang sucker took 3 water shots to make it stop swimming away. It was 50 yards out in Utah lake. I was nervous it was going to be too deep so I grabbed a reed to make sure I wouldn't fall into a hole. It was ankle deep the whole way.

Attached Files:

Pastor likes this.
  2. OldGriz

OldGriz Refuge Member

Good job! Sounds like it was a fun hunt. Congratulations on your first duck!

3. utahduckhunter

utahduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

Congrats on the birds . the teal are cinnamon teal

4. English_Pointer

Really, I thought cinnamons were more cinnamon colored. Is it just because of how early it is in the season. At first I thought they might've been eclipse blue wing drakes

5. English_Pointer

Really, I thought cinnamons were more cinnamon colored. Is it just because of how early it is in the season. At first I thought they might've been eclipse blue wing drakes

6. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Possible they could be Blue Wing Teal hens,identical to Cinnamon Teal hens.

7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Possible they could be Blue Wing Teal hens,identical to Cinnamon Teal hens.I shot one here in Nevada,it was banded so I know it was a Blue wing.