KY Lake Divers

Discussion in 'Kentucky Flyway Forum' started by williamsagritech, Nov 9, 2017.

1. williamsagritech

williamsagritech New Member

Hi I have been on the forum a while, but have not posted in forever and lost my old email from college so I could not recover my password. That being said, my wifes family meets up at KY Lake every year the day after Thanksgiving. Me and my brother in law are looking to get out of the cooped up cabin Saturday and sunday morning. We are just looking to set up and shoot a few divers. We plan to come up on Friday and look around, but I wanted to ask is their any areas of the lake that we might should scout on more than others? We will be staying up near the dam and Id like to stay close. My boat is also only a 14 ft so I don't plan to stray far from shore. Not trying to steal any spots, just looking for a few tips for our poorly planned 2 day hunt lol.

Thanks

2. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Refuge Member

Can't help too much as this is my first year hunting the lakes as well. But with growing up near them I can say that you should definetly stick to the bays in a 14 footer. Good luck to you :tu

3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Up near the Dam is where the majority of divers hang out. Don't overload your boat and WEAR a PFD!!!

You will be most at risk for hitting stuff in shallow water. Barkley is skinny anywhere outside the bouys.

Thanksgiving being opening day will be crowded but the Friday crowd should only be about 70% of that. The weekend could be packed but it will depend on bird numbers and weather.

WestKyHunt likes this.
  4. williamsagritech

williamsagritech New Member

Will be hunting on the KY Lake side if that matters much. Surely the crowds are not as bad as public land in Arkansas lol

5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Forgive me but for some reason I missed the Ky Lake and had Barkley on my mind. Barkley is what the advice was meant for.

Ky may have divers up there as well but the water is deep.

Not sure about Ky as for crowds but Barkley has draw blinds and will be fairly busy if people are killing anything.

If you can run along the shore, Find where birds are sitting. Run them out and throw out a half doz decoys, hide boat and blend into the shore. The birds will usually come back in 15-30 minutes. Big spreads will only get you caught by the returning birds

6. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Look at some maps. There are several ramps in different bays you can use to stay off the main lake especially if windy. Trailering around to a ramp may save you time in the long run plus is easier on the nerves

7. artcarney_agr

artcarney_agr New Member

If it were me with a 14 ft boat, I would go into LBL and use the launch ramps in those bays and plan on hunting at the mouth of those bays. However, to launch at an LBL ramp for hunting purposes, you'll need to purchase an LBL hunter use permit. Nickell and Demumbers ramps on north Barkley and Smith and Sugar on semi-north KY would be good ones to try.

If you must stay on the Marshall County side of KY Lake, I'd launch in the back of Sledd and make the long ride out to the mouth, hunting the south side of the mouth or the first little pocket south of the mouth of Sledd.

I hunted for years on KY and Barkley with a 14 ft boat with a 9.9, just have to pay attention to the forecast, know your limitations, and take it easy out there and be smart with your actions.