Lab to good home

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Black Max, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Black Max

Black Max Senior Refuge Member

Have a friend who will probably have to retire his hunting partner shorty. A few times a year folks have listed labs that need a new home. If anybody has something that they know of, let me know and I will pass the info along. Thanks

2. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

Wow. Why would one “retire” their hunting PARTNER?

afmoto likes this.
  3. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Retiring a hunting partner is a tough call. I retired my last dog at 11 because he lost his hearing. I couldn’t chance losing him in a marsh. A stone deaf dog in a thick marsh could get lost in a hurry.

Unless I’m missing something, I read it as he’s asking for someone that is looking to find a home for their dog. He’s not looking to dump his dog.

Captain Jim likes this.
  4. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

After reading that again, I see that perspective. I think you are right. Looks like I miss read the post.

Good luck with a new dog, and give the retired boy some extra ear rubs.

CADUCKWHACKER likes this.
  5. Black Max

"Retire" dog will not be able to hunt. There is not much available on lab rescue right now. I was taking a shot in the dark that there may be somebody that can't house their pet any longer and would like to see it go to a hunting home.

freefall and Mean Gene like this.
  6. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Yep. Struggling with that right now myself. Demon is 13-1/2 and seems pretty spry...but had some issues over the summer. He hasn’t been able to hear well in a couple of seasons. I don’t care so much about that. I’m careful where I take him these days and he knows what to do. His hips were giving out on him this summer but they seem to have gotten much better. I’m taking him out for the opener to see how he does. That will determine how much he hunts. I’ll probably limit him to once a week depending on how hard the hunt is.

7. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

At 11 years old, last season was my Sadie's retirement. She had been diagnosed with a pituitary tumor and was slowing down quickly. I took her out just three times to a private pond with my son. Her desire was still there, but the effort resulted in a lot of recovery. It was a sad day when she was finally gone.

CADUCKWHACKER and freefall like this.
  8. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

I’m guessing they can only afford to have one dog at a time and are getting a new dog?

9. Black Max

They can afford ten dogs. Current dog can't even crawl up on the bed he's going down hill fast for 10 years old. DONE! no more hunting. He will live out his days on the couch. They are interested in a dog that may be in need a new home. If there is nothing around, I'm sure that he will buy a puppy in the near future. Stop trying to read more into it folks.

10. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

Check retrievertraining.net classifieds started dogs section. There was one in So Cal