Lake miccosukee safe for dogs?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Christian Hazouri, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Christian Hazouri

Christian Hazouri New Member

Any body know if lake miccosukee is full of gators? I live close to Gainesville and some lakes around here don't have any and some are loaded, just wanted to see if y'all thought it would be safe to hunt with a dog out there. Thank!

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

http://www.mcglynnlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/LakeMiccosukee.pdf

"Marshy lakes such as this have poor sport fish populations but are good habitats for aquatic plants, waterfowl, and alligators (Cooksey, 1988). Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) harvests on the lake net almost $30,000 annually, with an estimated population of 1200."

Your call!

3. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

All those hunters and all those dogs getting eaten every season...dozens and dozens of them...you would think it would make the National news..... LOL :l

4. Phytoplankton

It did!

Fleeing suspect dies in alligator-infested lake
    Associated Press

Wed 14 Nov 2007 08.42 ESTFirst published on Wed 14 Nov 2007 08.42 EST

[​IMG]
    An American alligator. Photograph: Art Wolfe/Getty
    A suspected thief who disappeared into an alligator-infested lake as he fled police was found dead the next day with gator teeth marks on his upper torso, US authorities said yesterday.
    Police divers recovered the man's body from a lake at the Miccosukee resort and convention centre west of Miami on Friday.

A sign there warns people: "Danger Live Alligators."

A 2.8-metre alligator suspected in the death was killed and was being stored in a cooler awaiting a coroner's examination for human hair or skin, said Brian Wood, the owner of All American Gator Products, which was holding the reptile.

It would then be incinerated or buried, he said.

The man allegedly had been breaking into a vehicle in a car park on Thursday and ran when police arrived, said Dexter Lehtinen, one of the Miccosukee tribe's police legal advisers.

Another man was arrested. The tribe, which is not obliged to follow Florida's open records laws, declined to release either man's name.

The local attorney's office was unable to comment on whether the arrested man had been charged.

5. duckmanJR

So....you googled up an article from 11 years ago...of a man....who jumped in the water at night to flee police? That's your rebuttal?

Heck...we had one of those 10 miles from my house last year...

Ask any duck hunter in Florida....to give the name of the guy who's dog got taken.....I'll wait....but not too long....I'm 62 years old....I can't wait forever LOL

6. Phytoplankton

The guy asked if there were gators in the lake, yes there are. Whether dogs get taken by them in that lake (people do), I don't know, probably not high on the newsworthy scale, that's why I said "your call". Try more roughage. (LOL)

BTW, here's an excerpt from an article by Captain Jeff Kraynik Central Florida Hunting Retriever Club (The hunters name is Bobbie, and the dog was Luther, yes the article is 11 years old, but the gator is just bigger now!):

"Bobbie and I had taken this trail along the levee together a hundred of times before. Along the inside of the levee was the eight-foot deep rimmed ditch where the ever-present, fiery red eyes of death loomed just above the surface. Our blind of 2X4’s and palm fronds lay waiting for us at the end of the mosquito impoundment levee. As we would walk, those glowing eyes were always a constant reminder of who as actually at the top of the food chain here, and it wasn’t man.

Luther, Bobbie’s 70 pound yellow Lab had been walking ahead of them in the darkness of the levee. With blinding speed like a thief in the night, the beast came from out of the darkness. The only thing heard was a splash; a best friend’s cries for help, then silence. It was all over in a matter of seconds. Luther was never seen again.

Each year on average around the Space Coast of Florida, two dogs (retrievers/hog-coon dogs/deer hounds) are lost to alligator attacks during the hunting season."

7. Christian Hazouri

Thanks for the info!

8. duckmanJR

LOL... I'm not going to say anything about the article.. or the numbers given because it would be mean spirited.
    How long have you hunted in Florida Phyto?

Christian should keep his retriever kenneled...if he needs some guy in California...googeling up stuff to make a decision ....it is probably for the best.

9. Christian Hazouri

No need to get all pissy. I'm not making any "decisions" just based on what y'all are saying I was just looking for some info, I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually been on the lake but if someone is going to take the time to try to find answers to my question like phytoplankton did then I'm going to be appreciative of that

10. cracker4112

cracker4112 Refuge Member

First of all, any body of water in the state of Florida most likely has gators, if you think it doesn't you are most likely wrong.

The article that was dug up and posted above is about a man who fled the cops into a lake near the Miccosukee reservation, in S. Florida, nowhere near Lake Miccosukee.

Do gators get hunters dogs in Florida? Sure, but it is exceptionally rare. That said, and as Joe asked above, I know two people who lost a dog on Lake Okeechobee, one last year, one about 20 years ago, and personally, none in between.

I only hunt my dogs in shallow water, where they don't have to swim (inches deep), and I make sure there are no holes or deep water nearby that a bigger gator could be in. Also the dog needs to obey and be able to be called off a retrieve if necessary.

I have hunted Miccosukee extensively and generally it is a deep lake (think hunting out of the boat and not even wading) and I would never hunt one of my dogs there (unless I could find ducks in extensive shallow water).There are plenty of gators in that lake. While the risk is super low, I know I won't ever have to have that conversation with my wife of kids when the dog doesn't come home.

Christian Hazouri likes this.