Later duck seasons-Why not?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by quackattack89, Jan 23, 2019.

1. quackattack89

quackattack89 New Member

I am not arguing either way, just trying to get information.

What are the reasons not to delay waterfowl seasons? Most states start seeing significant numbers of birds when the season is starting to close. For instance, in the Southern MS Flyway, a Dec-Feb season would be much more fruitful than a Thanksgiving-Jan season.

Would it significantly harm the breeding patterns if states delayed the seasons. Please comment.

Once again, just an uninformed guy trying to get info, not arguing either way.

2. OldGriz

OldGriz Refuge Member

Birds are starting to pair up by the end of January.

3. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Would have to change the migratory bird treaty been in effect 100 yrs not going to happen in kansas it closes the last sun in january no matter what cant go past jan 31 from what i have read. Better chance buying a powerball would be my guess

4. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

International Treaties. Agreements that have been in effect for 80-100 years against Spring hunting.

5. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Pair bonds are starting to form in the late fall and most birds are paired off by late Dec or early Jan. The more disturbance to the pair bonding, like the male being killed, the female will use energy that would be going to adding weight, fat, etc., for the migration and egg laying to form an new pair bond. Most waterfowl biologists estimate that a later season would result in a minimum of a 7% reduction in production. If the birds continue to be harassed, they won't build up the fat reserves needed for successful reproduction.That may not seem like much with record or near record populations, but it won't take a whole lot of multiple years of that reductions till you have the seasons we had when I was a young duck hunter...we went from a 70 day season to a 25 day season, 2 duck limit, only one mallard, no cans or redheads. We started before Halloween and had the camp closed down well before Thanksgiving.
    There have been several articles on this in DU magazine and other lay publications. If you live near a university and want to read indepth, scientific articles about the negative affects of later seasons, look up the 'Journal of Wildlife Management,' and 'Wildlife Monographs.' Both are scientific publications by The Wildlife Society, which most wildlife biologists belong to.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    SKDuckhunt, Mort and metalworx like this.
  6. BigMike

BigMike Elite Refuge Member

^... and there you have it young grasshopper...
    It ain't all about the killin'.

OneShotBandit and pud123 like this.
  7. Matejka

Matejka Senior Refuge Member

Chasin unicorns......the weather will cycle back to the good ole days for dem southern boys.

8. metalworx

metalworx Senior Refuge Member

If they haven't already done so!

9. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

They still won’t be happy and will still be whining about flooded corn all while they hunt over flooded crops as well. They doesn’t encompass all of you. Just the ones whining that us Yankees are hoarding “your” birds.

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I don't know about all that...

My first 20 years were far colder hunting in central California than the last 20... As a kid I had a ski-pole to break the ice on the edges of the pond... Took it every time we hunted past December (probably used it about half the time).

Outside of a couple of incidental freezes, I have not had to break ice on a pond in 20 years from just a typical cold night. I used to wear a jacket, and now a thermal undershirt with a light pull-over has sufficed for every shoot of the season for the last several years (outside of one or two cold or windy days).

I certainly would not speak to "climate change" on a global level, or the how's or why's, but I know it does not get nearly as cold where I live, and the trend has been warmer and warmer winters...