Later Season Framework

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by jeffc, Jan 2, 2018.

1. wakenda

wakenda Senior Refuge Member

I almost agree. I have a lot of good luck before thanksgiving. I usually don't see much around after the second week of January. My ideal season is Nov 15 to jan 15. I'm for making what mdc calls mo river west it's own zone, the lines were on the map at the Carrollton meeting. In all honesty this season was the worst i have seen it since the early 2,000's we don't want to jump the gun after one bad season. I haven't heard anyone say they had a good season.

2. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Well, I am in central Florida.... I would like to see peninsular Florida have the first 10 days of February. We may not see the pretty birds or the big ducks till then. Weather is never our issue.
    The Flyway council will never go for it...pair bonding etc etc...

3. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

First half of our season was good. Second half not so good. Many say we missed a migration day(s). I don' see it that way completely. A nice migration occurred before our season opened but they did not all fly by us. Just arrived when we were not open.......IMO, that is what contributed to our strong first couple of weeks.

wakenda likes this.
  4. wilhelmina slim

wilhelmina slim Senior Refuge Member

No one can control the weather it is what it is. I a sure there are ducks to kill in North and Middle zone if season still open lots of ducks still here. Today in south zone 5 of us killed 28 ducks as cold and froze up as it has been. If the state was split in half some where between Cape and St Louis both zones could still be killing ducks. North part start on Nov. 10 open for 7 days close next 7 days then open for the rest of the 60 days puts it in late Jan. South zone open Nov 22 for 7 days close next 7 days then open up to finish 60 days close to lase week in Jan. North zone close on Jan 2 and middle zoned closed on Jan 7 this year.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  5. sgt duck

sgt duck Senior Refuge Member

Wakenda agree with you this was way below average season for us at Gill's Camp. Every year has is up's and down's but this year had alot more down's. Most of all it was very, very dry and warm for most of the season and then the below average temps hit around Christmas an we were frozen solid. Ducks just did not come up Grand River like a normal year. It's hard to say what is normal anymore with our weather. For me I like a WET muddy fall in our area. Can always kill ducks when its wet but when its dry thats a differant story. Just hope next season is better. Tim (sgt duck)

WHUP ! Hen, Greenhedges and wakenda like this.
  6. Greenhedges

Greenhedges Elite Refuge Member

I blame it on the weather...shot half the ducks at our club compared to last year. November was awesome this year and we didnt start puttin water on till the opener; last year December was good. Shot the heck out of them in dry cornfield pit last year when ice showed up; about 150 in a week. This year none. Hunt 4 rivers area right on Marais Des Cygnes river. Watched loads of ducks trade back and forth between Schell and 4rivers last year and literally none this year...Had several good hunts in the flooded timber last year none this year....Hope its a fast summer with perfect amount of rain with zero flooding for all next year...

Truman and sgt duck like this.
  7. NealinMO

NealinMO Senior Refuge Member

We loved the week later start and finish. We hunted up till the last day. Fought ice but killed a bunch of ducks

Truman likes this.
  8. Mallet67

Mallet67 Refuge Member

Sure would be nice to have a few more places in the South open with this warm up coming bet you could be killing some ducks at places like Schell Osage and places like that

TooTall and feetdown71 like this.