Lawsuit filed against bear baiting

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jun 11, 2019.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator

Do your part to fight this kind of crap:

upload_2019-6-11_9-49-39.png

You can see this posting on their facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/westernbea...XS7q0nN9H-xXGDt-F49nVjXGsI59fXbOfw6Yk&fref=nf

2. sdkidaho

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

MT doesn't allow baiting for bear

4. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I know this probably won't be popular, but, I am not a fan of baiting, deer, bear, ducks, anything, IMHO it is not fair chase. Might as well just set up stands at the local dump.

5. sdkidaho

But Wyoming does, and this is the Montana/Wyoming forum.

Herein lies the problem... sportsmen not supporting other sportsmen's legal hunting activities.

Someone, somewhere, doesn't like the type of hunting that "you" do and it is next on the chopping block. When we don't stand together, divided we fall as the saying goes. Once they eliminate bear baiting, then it's hound hunting, then it's hunting with certain types of arrows or certain bullets, then no more firearms, then no more bows, then no more hunting. Fishing for sport will follow. Once their focus is off the type of hunting they've chosen to attack, it moves to the next type.

The type of hunting "we" like is irrelevant. The support we give each other as sportsmen is what matters as in the end, it protects us all.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I forget that sometimes.
    Apologies.

7. sdkidaho

None needed - it wasn't replied out of anger, just clarification. :tu

8. Phytoplankton

My opinion is my opinion, and I stated it as such. I have a mind, I have my own set of personal values and ethics, sorry if they don't match yours. My personal feeling is that baiting is not fair chase and shows disrespect for the animal. You want to do it, fine. You want to keep doing it, fine OK, fight the proposal, but don't ask me to go against my personal code of ethics and support something I don't believe in.

As a corollary, what's your stand on abortion? It's legal, however I don't believe you support it, not only that I am willing to bet that you would vote against it if possible, and that is your right.

9. sdkidaho

Do you hunt ducks? Do you use a boat with a motor to hunt ducks?

If we’re going to use “fair chase” as an example then let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of what’s “fair chase”. Anything that gives you superior advantage in hunting takes away from “fair chase”, right? Firearms vs archery? The list goes on and on for what is considered “fair”.

So my point isn’t to dictate to you or anyone how to choose, but to show you where dividing as Sportsmen leads us. It opens the doors to antis to attack every aspect of hunting. So while you personally are against bear baiting, you can’t see your way through to aiding sportsmen that are hunting legally, and hunting a non-endangered species, and harvesting those animals as humanely as any other hunter, in order to preserve “your” hunting rights in the future as well?

My point is that as we ignore our fellow Sportsmen in their plights to protect their hunting rights, we inevitably chisel away at our own hunting rights.

10. Phytoplankton

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Again, what about abortion, it's legal and I'm quite sure it's against your personal ethics, yet I have a feeling you support any legislation that chisels away at a women's right to an abortion.