Layout boat

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by SBE3Dave, Nov 27, 2018.

1. SBE3Dave

SBE3Dave New Member

Was wondering if anyone had any layout boat plans, they would be willing to share or part with. I would definitely be offering a sea duck hunt in my new layout boat when it is finished. Thank you all for reading...

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Where are you located?

3. SBE3Dave

SBE3Dave New Member

In MD, mid Chesapeake Bay

4. Billy Bob

Ok thanks. I was asking because I have a layout I haven't used for 5 or 6 years that needs some work and was going to offer it to you cheap if you were in Washington or close enough to make it worth the trip.

5. SBE3Dave

SBE3Dave New Member

I’m really close to Washington DC! Lol but I don’t think it’s possible to get any further away then Washington State. But I appreciate the offer. As a new member to the forum, that means a lot. Thanks

6. Billy Bob

The bonus would have been about 50 magnum and supermagnum mallards repainted to scoters I would have included with the layout. :l

7. SBE3Dave

SBE3Dave New Member

Can I suggest a ROADTRIP? LOL

8. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

If your motivation is that you are a craftsman and you really want to build a boat and hunt out of it good for you and best of luck. I'm sure you will be successful. I bought a used homemade Kaylash style layout fiberglass over plywood about 10 years ago and it seemed very well built. However, there were lots of parts of the boat inside that were not covered in fiberglass. The thing floated like a Cadillac but went from probably close to 300 lbs dry to what seemed like 400 lbs when wet and it was an absolute bear to lug around, tow, boat, deploy and pickup. Took 3 men minimum to hunt. I didn't have indoor storage for it but it was under roof and I covered it with a tarp but each year it got worse and we started to almost dread layout hunting. Two years ago I burned the thing with a huge smile on my face after getting a new MLB UFO. No wood whatsoever and the thing weighs right around 200 lbs dry or wet and even has a drain plug. It's stored in same place as the old one in same manner and is still in perfect condition. Much smaller and floats great with guys 6' 3" 250 lbs and just my son and I can hunt no problem. The thing about this boat that in my opinion is priceless and well worth saving for is that we layout hunted 20+ days last year and we're just cranking it up this year. Absolutely love layout hunting again.