Let's chat about bark collars

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

2 female CBRs. Friendly but bark whenever they hear what they think is the door. I'm tired of it.

Ideas other than bark collars?

2. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

IMO a no-bark collar is the best option to correct nuisance barking.

3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Well, when introduced properly they can be effective. A dog soon knows when they
    are on vs. not. Which means becoming "collar wise" is predictable. Wearing one
    all the time is often "not a good idea" because they must be fairly snug to work.
    The metal contact of both collar "prongs" may produce sores in the neck area.

One of my dogs barks when someone comes to the front door. Since I don't
    hear very well, it is a good thing. :yes She will cease when I provide the "quiet"
    command.......usually.

Might not be a bad idea to teach the "knock it off" or "quiet" command. :h

4. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

We have worked on the "quiet" command while in the blind and in the yard. The excitement around the knock on the door seems to be more that I can control with the command. The more I get after them the more excited they seem to get. From a safety/security standpoint I don't mind the sound of barking dogs if someone shows up at the door but they always hear them before I do and scare the heck out of me.

Perhaps I'll use the ecollar and work on them one at a time until I get some change in behavior.