Looking for a Lab pup

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by ZaneO, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ZaneO

ZaneO Senior Refuge Member

After a horrible duck season, but just duck numbers but also a lot of nasty personal things, I am looking for a lab pup. I would prefer a black lab but would consider a yellow. If anyone has any leads on litters hitting the ground soon it would be much appreciated.

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Not sure of any right now but I would have broad horizon. Lots of very good lineage pups coming out of the Midwest at prices comparable to CA prices with CA pups having master hunter or less titles in the background.

3. black&blueshoulder

black&blueshoulder Elite Refuge Member

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Serious question, why are Labs starting to look more like Dachshund's the past 6-8 years? A Lab in the past would be a 80 to 95lb dog, the Labs I see lately are lucky to be 60lbs with many being in the 40s to 50lb range.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:58 AM
  5. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

Personally I like a lab in the 60-70 pound range they can handle the decomp fields better. Less wear and tear on there body.

callinfowl, mak2782 and letmwurk like this.
  6. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

I too, like a lighter lab. Fewer joint issues, better health, easier to lift into and out of the truck/blind/boat/etc. No downsides to a light dog IMO. The last one I bought was 60 lbs but lean and full of muscle. I'd much rather have a lighter lab than a heavier one.

yellowlabhunter likes this.
  7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

But the trend seems to be leaning more towards 55 and under.
    I understand wanting a smaller more agile dog but changing the standards for it seems strange to me. A lot of the Labs I see don't even look like the Labs that I remember 20 yrs ago.

8. black&blueshoulder

55lb females and 70lb males are perfect size in my mind, and are within the standard.

My female is just a few pounds under that. Oops.

callinfowl and Calikev like this.
  9. black&blueshoulder

The female above looks like what a field bred bitch should. I saw a male by the same Sire(Poncho) this weekend at a FT and he has a huge frame and a nice big head on him.
    I’ve had a large framed 95lb male and won’t again. But I prefer a correct looking head and snout on them.

I’ve seen pups from previous litters of the above breeding and they are nice.

Disclaimer:
    I don’t know the breeder personally.

callinfowl likes this.
  10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

The dog in my avatar was a 95 pounder. Was fun to have a big boy, but this time around the female pup I have now will turn out to be 60-65. She's probably 50+ now and she can bust through the woods just fine. Should be a good swimmer also. We got some of that in before the water got very cold and then froze.

Daisy Feb 2019.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 10:56 AM