Looking for a Lab pup

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by ZaneO, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I prefer some of the newer look labs vs. the downs syndrome hog head looking labs of the past. That's just my personal opinion but I'm biased toward female labs on the smaller side as well. 53-59 lbs. is the ideal weight for a female IMO.

Again.....not knocking anyone's dog or preference but I like this personally. I also prefer black or fox reds but have seen many yellows that look nice.

In the end it is whatever you are happy with. Color isn't as important as performance, etc. but might as well get what you like is the way I see it.

2. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

I agree. It could look like a chihuahua for all I care if the dog can run all day, hunt waterfowl and upland game, marks well, has a good nose, can break ice, doesn't whine in the blind and can curl up and go to sleep when we are not hunting. :sp

3. The Outlaw Josey Wales

The Outlaw Josey Wales New Member

I bought two chocolate labs from contender in Iowa. One female and one male. Extremely happy. Great dogs! Check out his dogs pedigrees, you'll be impressed

4. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you did your homework and got some good ones! :tu

5. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

B953E95E-F53F-4BF6-99E8-8C090789A6D6.jpeg 53-59 pounds?? Already there and she’s not even five months...:l:l

callinfowl likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

My last female was every bit of 95lbs and I picked the runt of the litter wanting a smaller 55 to 65 lb dog, she was a good dog that I trained myself, I made every mistake you can and she ended up being an awesome hunter. She had her glitches but she was a really good natural hunter.
    She was a Feather Ranch dog from the late 90's back when Jim worked there.
    Actually it was the last litter out of Sage that Jim was involved with. Soon after him and Phil broke up.:l:l:l

I don't mind smaller Labs as long as the don't look like a tall wiener dog. :l:l:l

7. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

I think she's a beautiful lab. But I'm a little jaded by the picture you posted of Scarlet. Personally, I like that red color and those floppy ears. My understanding is that Scarlet is a big dog. I would have to go through the papers in my safe to find her actual weight.

I own one of her pups. He's fast, stylish and an efficient hunter. Luke weighs in at a lean 80lbs. He's got no quit in him at all. He's got an on/off switch and does great with my grandkids. I take him to work with me and he's as relaxed as can be. In the boat, he waits patiently (usually), he's steady to shot (always) and when it's time for a retrieve, he's all business. On pheasants and quail, he's a pretty amazing dog. He quarters close, he points the birds at times and works hard for the birds. I don't encourage the pointing, but I don't let it bother me. Why fight something like that? He's got a personality that puts a smile on my face every day.

IMG_9306.jpg

IMG_9235.jpg

IMG_7622.JPG
    IMG_7764.jpg

Brottboss, dukejb, callinfowl and 2 others like this.
  8. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Hayudog and broducks1 like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan Elite Refuge Member

breeders need to start addressing the increase in blow knees, which is obviously more common with the larger labs. Way too many ortho issues these days in the breed

broducks1 and callinfowl like this.
  10. bcshasta

bcshasta Senior Refuge Member

CruiserXScarlet 2017 My pup Chip. Couldn't be happier

[​IMG]

Hayudog, broducks1 and callinfowl like this.