Looking For A Pizza Sauce

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by goosnit, Sep 13, 2017.

1. goosnit

goosnit Senior Refuge Member

I'm looking a homemade recipe for a good pizza sauce , anybody got one handed down to them . Thanks

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Most good pizza sauces are simple Marinara sauce with the oregano and basil kicked up a little. EVOO one yellow onion a few carrots grated fine, and it to hot oil until desired texture cook it in a thich bottom pot, after it starts spitting go as low as you can go with the temp overnight so it reduces and thickens up, to what you are looking for. A lot of people make the mistake of over saucing the dough. I like to brush the dough very lightly with garlic olive oil before adding the sauce, it keeps the dough from absorbing the pizza sauce. If you like a sweeter sauce add a table spoon of sugar one at a time until you get it dialed in, write things down to make it easier the second time around......I never do this , but should.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  3. goosnit

goosnit Senior Refuge Member

sounds good , I appreciate your help .........

4. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Less is more. I just use a large can of crushed tomatoes, a tablespoon of tomato paste, teaspoon of fennel seed and maybe a tablespoon or dried oregano, more or less to taste. Fresh basil is fine, too. Cook it down a bit, but if you add basil, add it toward the end.