Looking for a place to hunt

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by steve Ellis, Aug 10, 2018.

1. steve Ellis

steve Ellis New Member

If you where looking for a place to go hunting in Missouri where would you start looking. Is there some online forums or Craig's list? I know that there are public places to hunt and if a person is lucky enough to get a good draw then you can have a good day hunting. Too many times of standing in line and nothing. Don't mind spending some money. Any idea?

2. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Put in the time to scout. Do your homework, knock on doors, ask for permission. When you find ducks, don't tell anybody and get there early.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Network. Get active in a local DU or Delta chapter. Volunteer for a committee. Volunteer at a local refuge. Get to know other hunters. Might take awhile to get in with the right folks, but it will pay off. And you will be doing good things for wetlands and waterfowl.

You might find some ads on CL for lease openings, also.

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Go to DU and Delta events. Go to calling contests. Join the local retriever club/s. The latter probably did more for me as I was moving around in the 90s than any other thing. Today I'd also check out a variety of facebook waterfowl pages. It takes time, but you can develop relationships which end up in a duck blind. I have a lot of good friends today who I met on this site.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

That, and being an active worker at their training days and tests was the single best thing I did to open the gates to prime private land hunting when I moved to Louisiana - but it's probably important to note that I did not yet have a retriever of my own. Many, if not most, retriever club members are apt to want to hunt their own dogs without others'.

bill cooksey likes this.
  6. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Missouri is a big state. MDC should have maps and info on their website. Gear up. Do some scouting.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  7. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

Listen for gunfire during the season and follow that.

8. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Pay an outfitter for an unguided hunt. It didn’t work out well for one fella on here but it might for you. Be sure to report back on your experience.

9. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Refuge Member

10. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

By the way, I had a friend named Steve Ellis that drowned in Smithville lake while duck hunting back in about 1981. Are you kin to him?