Oklahoma Flyway Forum Sponsors

looking for sandhill crane and goose guides

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Flyway Forum' started by timber71, May 25, 2003.

1. timber71

timber71 Moderator<br>Alabama Forum

hay yall, i used to live in stillwater and cushing way back from 1980 to 1990 and never hunted waterfowl there but a buddy and myself try to go places where we never been and was gonna go to kansas to get on the sandhills and geese but the guide that we were gonna go with doesnt return calls or emails and after doin sum research i come to think " hay we never shot an oklahoma goose" so my question is this..... can anyone put us on some sort of guide or something? we are wanting to get locked in before the mad rush and looking forward to another road trip !! oklahoma would be nice to see aain..all that flat land and oil pumps LOL just kiddin yall

2. papa bear

papa bear Senior Refuge Member

Call Curt Wilkerson in Lawton. (580)355-7505

I never hunted geese with him but he put us on the cranes one day. I know he does kill alot of geese too.

3. Call 'em back

Call 'em back Elite Refuge Member

I hunted with Curt on a Goose hunt, let me just say, you get what you pay for ($85.00)... I dont plan to go back. Some of the things i didnt like would be, Overcrowded hunts, not very classy, 1 caller, shooting Way the hell out there to.. and just other little things that bugged me. Once you go, you wont ask yourself how he charges 85.00.. You sure get what you pay for.

My 2 Cents on Curts Guide Service.

4. papa bear

guess I had a different experience. Only three in our party and we shot cranes 20 yards over our heads. Know what you're getting into up front.

5. Call 'em back

Call 'em back Elite Refuge Member

Hehe, there were about 12-13 in our party, all laying downhill on the other side of a barb wire fence shooting through it 50+ yards.

6. Foggy

Foggy Senior Refuge Member

If you don't mind hunting in Kansas talk to Mike Niles in Great Bend. They have some excellant hunting there and Mikes a great guy. I also heard a rumor there is a Crane call in the works somewhere - ask Mike about the details. They will have the call for folks to blow at the Great Bend Outdoor Show on June 13, 14 and 15. Alot of contests that weekend and close enough to drive to. Its just west of Wichita KS about 45 miles. Mike Niles 620-792-3274.

7. papa bear

Since my last post sparked such controversy, drive down to Texas and book with Bay Prairie. The last time I was there I hunted with a young man named Brian Kutasch and an old salt named Billy Hodges who are both great guides.

I guarantee you will see more geese and cranes there than anywhere else in the country.

I'm going back on the refuge hunt this December if any of you Okies want to tag along.

8. cheeseduck

cheeseduck Elite Refuge Member

Curts was the biggest waste of money that I have spent...With only 2 hunters in our group , he invited his close and personal friends...We had birds walking on the groung on our side of the spread and he would not call the shot...BUT when they flew on his NON PAYING friends side he called it....Sorry but unless I wanted to shoot his head off I could NOT SHOOT....They got 3 birds , which they gave to us...Then acted like he wanted a TIP!!!!!!!!Screw THAT!@#$%.....Don't WASTE YOUR MONEY....Scout and check the shows....BTW SAM POWELL( WHO SUCKS ) ENDORSES curts ...Probably one of the free shooters...

Cheezy:eek:

Total Cost 85 fee, hotel 55, gas & tolls 30 & food 30 ( could have purchased a case of shells)