Manipulation of grain fields --legal or not legal

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Oct 27, 2017.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I was watching some youtube videos, and I watched some guys cut down some corn and then use it in making their blinds. I was under the impression that cutting flooded corn would expose the corn and that you couldn't cut it unless the cobs had been removed. Can someone clarify this for me. I was thinking of maybe hunting a corn field down south in the province, but I would like to know what is legal and not legal in terms of moving/cutting corn . I've tried to find the CWS ruling on this, but with no success. Thanks in advance. W.

ie. Would this ok in this video?

2. bang you'r dead

By the way, it looks like our baiting laws may change. Under NAFTA and international treaty, would this mean that the US hunters will have to comply as well?

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2017/eccc/CW69-16-48-2017-eng.pdf

Here is the meat of the regulation change:

It is proposed that any deliberate modification of an agricultural crop that is not part of normal recognized agricultural practices should be considered baiting. For example, grain crops (corn, wheat, oats, barley, buckwheat, sunflowers, millet, etc.) and legume crops (e.g., soy beans, peas, beans, etc.) do not require flooding to grow or harvest and therefore any deliberate flooding of these crops would be considered baiting. Conversely, cranberries require flooding to harvest and therefore this would be recognized as a normal agricultural practice and not be considered baiting. The recommended option going forward is to prohibit the deliberate modification of an agricultural crop that is not part of normal recognized agricultural practices for the purpose of attracting migratory birds for hunting (see Table 2). Subsection 14(6) of the Regulations would be amended to reflect this policy change and would consider the following to be areas where bait has been deposited: 1. A standing grain or legume crop that is deliberately flooded to attract migratory birds for hunting (e.g., flooding a cornfield by using a water pump, plugging a drain tile, using stop logs in a culvert, or diverting water onto the field). 2. A crop that is deliberately unharvested, partially harvested, knocked down or left on the ground, whether flooded or not, for the purpose of attracting migratory birds for hunting (e.g., deliberately unharvesting the centre rows of a cornfield). 3. Grains or legumes that are deliberately deposited on the ground for the purpose of attracting migratory birds for hunting (e.g., deliberately dumping corn in a field).

3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

It's all baiting and should be illegal. But wealthy lawyers make it legal because they can't duck hunt honestly.

And the economy of our Kansas would fail.

Bwt. Your duck season almost over based upon the temps?

dux/24 7 likes this.
  4. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Technically, by the letter of the law they could write you up. If you're trumping down half an acre of corn to dress a 10 man blind, they gonna write you up. If you're cutting down a handful of stalks to dress some layouts, it depends on how long it's been since ole green jeans got laid. My experience, state wardens must get tail a lot more frequently than the Fed guys.

N.S.F.D, Sunklands and jzoo like this.
  5. bang you'r dead

What if you take the cobs off the corn and toss them in your truck. I assume you could cut the stalks then..or is that technically manipulation, even if you are not exposing grain?

Tuleman and h2ofwlr like this.
  6. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

you understand very little about waterfowling in this country if you think that would fly. kinda like enforcing bayou meto limits on all of canada. laughable. or you really are a fool.

7. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

remove the ears and you are good to go.

8. bang you'r dead

The sky was black over a field of barley on my scout this evening, so a few thousand ducks say............not so much. Not enough snow to kick the mallards out yet, and still enough waste grain to keep them happy. Maybe another week or two for the mallards in the field, but we have still got good numbers in the marsh.

9. bang you'r dead

...not if applied universally through the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Fish and Wildlife Act of 1956 (16 U.S.C. 742a-j), the whole idea of those treaties and acts is to implement conventions to protect waterfowl through Canada, USA, Mexico, and now Russia. What happens in one country can directly affect what happens in the other.

Could you imagine the uproar if you couldn't flood those corn fields anymore, or hunt over crops that were planted for the purpose of baiting waterfowl? It would surely change the face and character of duck and goose hunting in North America.

goosenazi and dux/24 7 like this.
  10. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

You only need 8 mallards to make a good hunt.

N.S.F.D likes this.