Manipulation of grain fields --legal or not legal

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Oct 27, 2017.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Seasons and limits are based on the treaties that we are talking about, so yes, what happens in bayou meto (albeit not personal limits....but overall harvest) may directly affect what happens in Canada and Mexico as well. The treaties look at the big picture, including laws which can include baiting, so you are not as immune as you think.

2. bang you'r dead

Yep. Conversation with provincal CO says that no cobs can be on the ground anywhere you have cut or walked or driven in, or it could technically be baiting , and the field closed even after they were cleaned up, so really important not to knock any down without removing from the ground.

Thanks for the tip.

3. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

me KNOWS you are just trying to stir the pot. you can be more restrictive, but you can not force involuntary additional restrictions. kinda like mexico saying "hey, if you do not all together cease the hunting of crows, we can rewrite waterfowl regulations to effectively eliminate waterfowl hunting". if you are not being intentionally obtuse, i have to feel a little sorry for you.

4. bang you'r dead

[​IMG] Busted. There WAS speculation that this was going to be presented in the US as well as Canada, but it had as much chance of passing or even being presented as Universal Healthcare. It may go through in Canada, especially the pre-baiting of areas by duck clubs in Ontario.

I don't like the shooting over flooded crops, but so be it. I shoot over grain, and last year it was all laying down and flooded (not intentionally), and it was a lot of fun. Nothing like shooting from a kayak in a wheat field.

I still may get to hunt corn the weekend on the way to Hawaii (don't ask) in late November, and if I do, I guarantee I'll post the pictures. (I've never hunted corn before this)

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

When I was hunting Rice here in the Valley , it was customary to flood after burning or bailing the straw so , what was left in the field would
    decompose and the field would be ready for next seasons ground prep tillageing ! As combines harvested the crop and blew the rice into Bankout Wagons
    , depending on the experience of the operators , some rice would miss the wagons and be blown all over in places of the field . Naturally , these areas
    were where we hunted most , we tried shooing them away even by killing a few limits but they just kept coming back so what are we to do ? This same
    scenario is played out throughout the Northern Hemisphere by honest Waterfowlers who can afford such wonderful places to hunt !
    Why limit them to crawling in the mud , trying to freelance in places where there might not be a flight , like where we hunt Now ?

Besides , what would we do without Bangs Wonderful Video's to marvel at ?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

That is called normal agricultural practice. Not baiting.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  7. Ravenanme

Are you saying Eagle Lake up in Washington is normal agricultural practices too ?

8. bang you'r dead

Spillage during normal agricultural practices is not considering baiting. If a combine is dumping its load into a grain truck, and some spills on the ground, it is incidental, and it not considered baiting. Similarly, the most common practice now is to use a high wheel sprayer to spray roundup into wheat to kill it, and then it is straight combined (not cut into swaths). Where the high wheels have gone, are knocked down wheat plants with full heads on them. You often see the ducks and geese lined up and down these wheel ruts in the field.

9. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

that is correct.

though when it comes to spillage, it is subjective. it would really depend on the volume of grain that was "accidentally" spilled.

10. Ravenanme

If Bang would logon to Eagle Lakes Web page , he could see how flooded standing corn is used in their hunting practices ?
    As the winter goes on and most all other sources of food have dwindled , that flooded corn is a main attraction for miles around .
    From what I've been shown , pit blinds are moved and placed in the ground , wherever the larger concentration of birds are .
    It has been going on for years , with only Waterfowl Organizations top level people and hunters who are willing to spend $500.
    a day to hunt there , really it's no different than fellas going up into Canada from here !