Manipulation of grain fields --legal or not legal

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Probably, the authorities don't know. You should tell them.

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

When I was in my teens, we hunted a millet field that the state paid the farmer to plant as food plot for migrating ducks. We could walk around, put out decoys, but no chopping, rolling or other tractor work, but the state game warden did not object to us using a canoe to move around to make a knockdown area for decoys.

3. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

It is ridiculous that we had to bend over and take it with the ridiculous seasons on crows in Michigan because of Mexico. Only 4 months of crow hunting in Michigan. August and Sept and a couple of months in the winter. Crow are nest robing black bandits when they are feeding there young but they are protected at that time now. We used to be able to kill a lot of them when we could hunt the uneducated young of the year. There is a lot less crow hunting now since the restrictions were put in place.

It has always made me nervous while hunting geese on newly planted fields planted with rye for cover crops. The rye is just spread on the fields and not worked in, which is the normal practice around here. I am not worried about our local CO's having a problem with us hunting them. It is the chance of a FED officer seeing it and not knowing it is a normal practice of the farmers.

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

If you are hunting after its has germinated, you're good. If you are just hunting a freshly topsewn field, a fed would be right in ticketing, and so would a state warden. It's spelled out in the regs.

5. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

I would fight the ticket in court. I would flood the witness stand with local farmers proving it was a normal farming practice.

Some of the rye never germinates so by there rules the fields would never be huntable. BS

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Wouldn't have to do that. USFWS acknowledges it as normal practice within recommendation of local extension service. They also spell out what you can hunt over it. For instance, it's legal for doves, but it is not legal for waterfowl.

7. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Whether or not something is considered “normal farming practice” is not, nor has it ever been what determines whether or not a practice is considered baiting.

The “normal farming practice” litmus test is an invention of hunters hellbent on making the regs say something that they don’t.

bill cooksey likes this.
  8. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

IMG_3539.PNG IMG_3545.JPG This is a pic of a pit of mine in a somewhat harvested (rice still standing in front of pit) rice field. After harvest I disked an area around the pit, turned the pumps on and then once there was about an inch of water over the area, I ran a snake killer roller over the disked area. There might be a tad bit of spilled rice in SEMO and NEAR.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I hunt on a very large Ranch , the pastures are rotated to feed Beef animals , as winter sets in they feed supplemental hay and the remains of last years
    corn silage in these fields . There might be 300/400 animals in a field so as they dump this (hay and Silage mix) in rows extending hundreds of yds long
    it does attract birds ( some waterfowl ) to rows that were fed in days past....This is a normal way of feeding for this ranch so , how can this be called Baiting ?

10. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

No different than hunting a feedlot which is also illegal.

Other Agricultural Concerns
    You cannot hunt waterfowl on or over areas where farmers feed grain to livestock, store grain, or engage in other normal agricultural practices that do not meet the definition of a normal agricultural planting, harvest, or post-harvest manipulation.

Winchester 1897 likes this.