Manipulation of grain fields --legal or not legal

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Perfectly legal. You're allowed to manipulate a crop for doves.

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Crop manipulation is legal for dove. How can y'all hunt birds and not know the regs? Nothing illegal at all by anyone in the situation you described.

stevena198301 likes this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Talk about a horse that has been beat to a bloody pulp...

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Well , that's good ! I didn't want to be hunting with this crew if they were not following the rules of the Law on opening weekends , anymore !
    Even tho I get hammered with fellas thinking we were illegal in hunting that safflower , by the Rules , one of our district Game wardens ( who hunts with us )
    made sure of that !

5. Circle Hook

Circle Hook Senior Refuge Member

About 10 years ago we got tickets from the Feds for this exact same thing, the state wardens also showed up that day and did not ticket us. In court the local cooperative extension said it was a normal agricultural practice for our area and the tickets were immediately thrown out.

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Were the Feds who wrote the ticket in the courtroom? They could have quickly shown the reason for the ticket, and it should have stuck. For instance, winter wheat is often sown here around the time dove and early goose season opens. Sometimes it's even sown with dove in mind. It's perfectly legal to hunt doves over it, but you'll be busted and pay if you hunt geese in that same field.

7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Hunted a top sewn field once with a Fed as one of the invitees. He was somewhat famous for his actions up in the Chesapeake area. Being a heck of a shot, he was finished up pretty dang quick as the birds were thick. As he walked by, we spoke and I asked if he were going to hang around? He said "I don't want to bear witness to something I shouldn't be seeing". The state GWs were often there, jumping out of the bushes but I don't think anyone ever got written up. Now if they had been there when all the geese fell from the sky, it might have been a different matter.

8. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

As long as the wheat is broadcast at recommended rates and dates according extension guidelines, it is a "normal agricultural practice." There are literally thousands of acres of wheat cover crops flown on here every year between Sept 1 and Nov 15 that get hunted. I don't know of a single person that has ever been ticketed for baiting if the cover crop was applied within extension service guidelines.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With Federal agents having more authority ( with Migratory birds ) , it's reasonable they would be more watchful of someone , breaking their laws ?
    They could have more Clout in a Fed Court , than a County Court ?

10. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

As others have mentioned, this is perfectly legal for doves. About the only thing that you can't do for doves is put seed in the field that didn't grow there, the exception being top sewn crops (but the amount of seed/acre and the timing better be within the recommended guidelines for that crop and region).

Ravenanme likes this.