Manipulation of grain fields --legal or not legal

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Oct 27, 2017.

1. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

In october we had multiple days of 45+ mph winds that knocked down 20-40 bushel per acre in some fields, depending on hybrid. These ears will not get picked up by the combine. There will be alot of well fed wildlife this winter along with alot of fields deemed baited I would imagine. Do you agree or no?

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

...and I've hunted nearly the identical fields, with the HEAD game warden from the area and another NRO, and they said no problem. Any "natural" problems with the crop does not indicate manipulation, and is "normal". We had 1800 acres of wheat that froze, fell over, and the ducks ate that like the world's largest buffet. No problem in hunting it. Barley in swath got rained on for 3 weeks and abandoned. No problem. Go ahead and shoot it.
    I guess it all depends on the interpretation by the LEO.

ED Vanderbeck and spaightlabs like this.
  3. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

They will say baited im sure, but nature manipulating it shouldnt make it baited.

5. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

That all depends on how much it costs the farmer to pick up that $20 bill, doesn't it? If it costs the farmer $22 in additional labor/fuel/etc. to pick up that $20 bill, assuming that the field is being "harvested for monetary gain," they "normally" aren't going to pick it up.

thatguy2 likes this.
  6. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

No offense, but your "expert" is the textbook definition of a glory hound. Doesn't give a rip about the actual intent of the law. Just looking for a reason to give someone a ticket. Write tickets. Get guilty verdict. Raise revenue. Get promotion. Rinse and repeat. Meanwhile, no actual wildlife are protected.

7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Some friends of mine were ticketed because they had some sunflowers planted in the corner of a huge corn field for doves. They mowed and burned the sunflowers, and shot doves over it in September. flooded it in late october, and got tickets for shooting over it in November. Even though the seeds were all gone, there were a few floating sunflower heads floating among the corn.......corn was okay, but dried up sunflowers were not........... Le$$on learned!

8. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

Every time one of these baiting threads come up, you know what I learn? That nobody is really sure what baiting laws are...

jzoo likes this.
  9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

That, and baiting laws are intended to increase revenue and often don't reflect reality.

dvegas, dux/24 7 and jzoo like this.