Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Manitoba migration update

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Chris Benson, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

Southern n Central Mb.

My guess is some of the best early season hunting to be had in years in the US. Not sure much is left in Mb

Have used snow covers 3 times this week and its only the first week of October !!!

2. STUBBLE BUM

STUBBLE BUM Senior Refuge Member

Just got home from a week in west central MB. The snow and cold temperatures had most of the small waters frozen however bigger water still had ice free areas and held what birds were left. Little Canada's and snows were gone as well as the smaller ducks. Lots of big Canada's and mallards however. Estimated 80-90% of birds gone but some new birds from father north showed up while we were there. Lots of unharvested crops flattened by snow. Birds keyed on these fields close to open water. Warmed up at the end and most of the small water should be open again as I type. Good hunting just had to work a little harder

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

We still have 8 or 10 large wheat fields that are unharvested,and a couple inches of snow, so it isn't affecting the birds, and they are starting to feed all day and night now. I am having a coffee preparing to hunt a roost today (not on the x, but on the edge to preserve the roost), but we have several thousands (I saw about 5,000 yesterday going in and out of the roost in an hour or so) that are not going to leave for awhile. It was interesting that a few of the birds I had from yesterday had canola sprouts in them, so they are also using some flooded swath canola fields as well. There are a couple of swath wheat fields that the birds love to go into but they must be getting to the point that they are getting low on food, as they haven't been using these fields in last week or so. I have had a hard time figuring out which fields they are using, but I know where they go for water , so that is where I will target. Lots of flowing water in the rivers, so they won't freeze up for awhile. I'm sure I'll be hunting here for at least another week or two. It will be later than normal hunting for us.

orangelegs73 likes this.
  4. bang you'r dead

Another good day hunting[​IMG]

Yes, that is snow. Yes, that is a kayak. Yes, those are mallards.

Just a little trivia. Note the Refuge toque and the Sitka shirt. Both supplied from the Refuge. Colors were perfect for where I was hunting.

PorkChop, HJP12, Chris Benson and 4 others like this.
  5. canman omaddie

canman omaddie Senior Refuge Member

Below zero temps on there way to THE PAS.

SoDak hunt is looking good!!

6. bang you'r dead

Temps were down in the single digits (Fahrenheit) this am. Lots freezing tight. Ducks can feed on standing wheat, but will have problem on the swath crops. River is still open, but tightening up in the wide spots. May go out in the morning, but it was downright nasty this am. Blizzard conditions at 6am.

PorkChop and THEIRCOMMITED10 like this.
  7. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

It's been cold the last day or two, most of our birds have left, still some geese and a few ducks hanging around, most of the smaller waters (marshes, creeks, inlets are frozen) only the really big lakes and rivers are still open.

8. bang you'r dead

River has frozen up, and that is the last place the birds hang out, so it is now officially over for us up here. I don't know if Chris has any new birds coming around his neck of the woods , but as far as north of the 53rd, we are done like dinner. I had a pretty good year up here. No real complaints other than lack of snow geese. I do miss getting a couple good whack em/stack em snow goose hunts each season. Thanks to KENT for supplying guys like Chris and I with some freebies to try out during the season. Very happy to oblige. Now I get to cruise the forums, and live vicariously through the exploits of other hunters on the forums. Good luck and safe hunting to all. Warren.

9. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

You guys do any coyote hunting up there?

10. bang you'r dead

No, but funny as i saw one dancing along the shoreline yesterday.

PorkChop likes this.