Metal Cargo Carrier for Decoys

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by TurkeyGuyPA, Feb 10, 2019.

1. TurkeyGuyPA

TurkeyGuyPA Refuge Member

Does anyone use one of those metal cargo carriers that attach to a trailer hitch for decoys?

I'm not sure I can afford a trailer, but I can at least get the hitch and start using that. My Subaru is a pretty big hatch back, so between this and that I should be able to get my spread out (2.5 doz full bodies, 2.5 doz shells, 4 doz silo) plus room for 2 buddies, guns, blinds, etc..

If the answer is "Why yes, PATurkeyGuy, I do that all the heckin' time!" my follow up question is "have you built some sort of good contraption for stacking them onto the cargo carrier?"

Thanks in advance!

2. Thinblueline

Thinblueline New Member

I throw three bags of duck decoys on a hitch cargo carrier and secure them with ropes, cargo netting, or ratchet/cam straps. It works.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Never tried using one but I'm thinking that in wet weather, a lot of road grime and mud would splash up on the decoys. When I see cars on the road using one, all the things being carried are in totes and coolers.

BirdJ likes this.
  4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

years ago, I built a that I could put on a hitch haul, and then pile decoys on. Worked pretty good.

5. TurkeyGuyPA

TurkeyGuyPA Refuge Member

This is a very good point, particularly since I tend to use mesh bags. I'm thinking that I could use it primarily for a blind or develop some sort of cargo net/tarp system as @Thinblueline mentioned above.

I think what I would do is build some sort of plywood devices using pins and with a little roofing to make a sort of aerodynamic cover to stack them against and secure them to which will fit inside the cargo carrier metal frame. Hard to explain, I'll take a look and see!