Millet Falling Over

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by isubarui, Sep 25, 2018.

1. isubarui

isubarui New Member

We have been getting a lot of rain where I am in SE texas and some of the ponds that I grew millet in this year have been flooded for the past month or so up to this point. The millet in these ponds has started to lay over.

My concern is that it is still warm enough that the millet will start to germinate or wont last underwater for another month but if I try and pull all the water off the ponds I imagine the millet that is exposed on the mud will germinate.

The water in these ponds is around 8"-15" deep.

Would it be best to keep water on the ponds or would pulling water off the ponds help the millet stand until it gets closer to November?

2. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

If I were you, I would leave the water alone. Most millets will not germinate under water, though some may germinate while still on the stalk if they are wet continuously (but above the surface). I don't believe that pulling the water off would help the millet stalks stay upright (in fact, they might be more inclined to lodge), and any seed that did fall onto the newly exposed mud would likely sprout.

Sometimes Mother Nature just won't cooperate!

3. jrchip1

jrchip1 Elite Refuge Member

Old rule of thumb around my parts for Rye grass, was after being submerged for 5 days, it won't revive from draining or pumping off the water.

4. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

As much as it stinks, you're probably better off to leave the water on

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

This weekend I found jap millet heads that had fallen over into water (but at the surface) had sprouted.

[​IMG]

6. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

That sucks! First time I have seen that happen. I have seen dropped off seed resprout during a wet warm fall. Probably would have happened even if you pulled the water off.

7. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

What's the rest of the field look like?

8. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Same thing happened in my pond.

9. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Almost all mine has dropped its seed and started to grow, I guess several inchs of rain an 90 degree temps will do that. some might make it to November but isn't looking good

10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I went a different direction this year, away from the Jap for all the examples above. What I’ve discovered is byg seems less suceptable to re-sprouting even after the seed has dropped. It also doesn’t appear to germinate on the stalk when touching the water. Matter of fact it continues to grow once the water leaves the seed head. And one of the nicest things about it it’s easy to manage, regenerates well, and you can manipulate it any way you want. Can’t legally do that with first year Jap. Oh, and the ducks really do like it ....